Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > What are the standard network functions provided in standard C?

What are the standard network functions provided in standard C?

disappearedng@gmail.com

Hi guys,
I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
standard C?

Antoninus Twink

On 10 Jun 2008 at 17:13, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
> find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
> regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
> regular expression in C

The POSIX regular expression functions regcomp, regexec, regerror,
regfree might be a good starting point.

> and/or functions that deals with networking in standard C?

For a web crawler, libcurl would be a good choice.

Owen Jacobson

On Jun 10, 1:13*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
> find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
> regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
> regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
> standard C?

Mu. Networking is not covered by the C standard; it is covered by
other standards such as POSIX and SUS, as well as by platform APIs
like Winsock or NSSocket.

Likewise regular expressions.

-o

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
>find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
>regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
>regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
>standard C?

There are no standard C libraries that deal with networking: networking
is -always- system dependant. You might get lucky and find
a networking library that deals with all of the operating systems
that you are interested in.

Regular expressions are text processing, so you should be able to
find portable regular expression libraries; C itself doesn't happen
to provide any.

--
"I will speculate that [...] applications [...] could actually see a
performance boost for most users by going dual-core [...] because it

user923005

On Jun 10, 10:13*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am planning to write a web crawler in standard C. I can't seem to
> find standard libraries provided by C that deals with networks and
> regular expression. Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
> regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
> standard C?

There aren't any. The answer is to use a library. This one is nice:
http://legacy.imatix.com/html/sfl/

Unfortunately, it looks like nobody is putting any effort into it
these days. It would be nice if it would get hosted on SourceForge.

mb

On Jun 10, 11:13 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Anyone here knows a good engine that deals with
> regular expression in C and/or functions that deals with networking in
> standard C?

Neither of the below are standard C, but work on a many platforms:

http://www.gnetlibrary.org
"GNet is a simple network library. It is written in C, object-
oriented, and built upon GLib. It is intended to be easy to use and
port. GNet comes with documentation and examples. It is licensed under
the GNU Library General Public License."

"GNet has been ported to Linux, *BSD, MacOSX, Solaris, HP, and
Windows. It may work on other flavors of Unix too."

http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/
GLib wraps the PCRE regular expression library into an easier to use
interface, and it includes all sorts of utility functions/abstractions
like containers, threading, strings, etc.