Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Flickr: What's the deal with the "You are ...'s newest contact" emails?

Flickr: What's the deal with the "You are ...'s newest contact" emails?

Al Dykes

As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".

I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.

Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
message.

What are they and what are they good for?

I don't want to appear to be impolite to the guy.

Thanks.

--
Al Dykes

Paul Furman

Al Dykes wrote:
> As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
> messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".
>
> I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
> deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.
>
> Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
> from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
> message.
>
> What are they and what are they good for?

It's just like putting folks in your address book. If you know the
person, you can add them too. People viewing your profile can see your
contact list, subscriptions, etc, so that can be a good way to network
folks with similar interests. No need to respond if you don't know them
& their work isn't interesting, they may just be fishing for people to
view their images; some combination of being social & self promoting.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Pete D

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g2m7te$ajl$(E-Mail Removed)...

> As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
> messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".
>
> I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
> deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.
>
> Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
> from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
> message.
>
> What are they and what are they good for?
>
> I don't want to appear to be impolite to the guy.
>
> Thanks.

Ummm, Flickr is actually all about socially networking, that is why you tag
photos, so others can find them. If you don't want to do the social thing
then don't use tags and just ignore the contacts. I use Flickr but not for
the social thing as well except for people I actually know.

Pete

tony cooper

On 10 Jun 2008 11:51:10 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote:

>As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
>messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".
>
>I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
>deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.
>
>Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
>from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
>message.
>
>What are they and what are they good for?
>
>I don't want to appear to be impolite to the guy.

I use several of the free image hosting sites. I use one for eBay
image hosting, one for hobby images, and one for family images. I
recently added Flickr in order to link to some photos for another
newsgroup (not for photography).

It seems that those "contacts" are people who have indicated that
they'd like to be informed whenever you add new images. They have
enough interest in your stuff to want to see new work, and Flickr
seems to inform them when you add something.

I have one "contact", and he's a regular poster to the newsgroup where
I posted the first link. He's quite sane, he's not involved in any
multi-level marketing schemes, he's financially better off than I am
(he owns an airplane and often links to his aerial photographs), he's
not the son of an Nigerian oil official who is trying to dispose of
$72 million, and has never suggested that I buy any drugs or devices
that promise to offer any improvements. He's never contacted me by
email.

Evidently, he happens to like the images I post.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

m II

tony cooper wrote:

> he's
> not the son of an Nigerian oil official who is trying to dispose of
> $72 million,

As spokesman for the countless sons of Nigerian oil officials who are
trying to dispose of $72 million (and MORE), I must take offense at your
stereotyping. The vast majority of us are honest, caring people who
merely need help in dispensing the funds in a loving, compassionate
manner. Won't you help, rather than hinder? Please, send the needed tax
payments/bribes for the officials/bank fees/handling charges now. We are
here to help.

Mailing address to follow.

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

http://improve-usenet.org/

tony cooper

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:49:37 GMT, m II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>

>> he's
>> not the son of an Nigerian oil official who is trying to dispose of
>> $72 million,

>As spokesman for the countless sons of Nigerian oil officials who are
>trying to dispose of $72 million (and MORE), I must take offense at your
>stereotyping. The vast majority of us are honest, caring people who
>merely need help in dispensing the funds in a loving, compassionate
>manner. Won't you help, rather than hinder? Please, send the needed tax
>payments/bribes for the officials/bank fees/handling charges now. We are
>here to help.
>
>Mailing address to follow.

I apologize for my rude portrayal of your family, but I do wonder why
you keep getting on airplanes. It would seem that you would learn
that if a rich Nigerian gets on an airplane, it will crash. And why
does it never occur to you to set-up offshore accounts and write a
will before you book a flight?

--

tony cooper wrote:

> I apologize for my rude portrayal of your family, but I do wonder why
> you keep getting on airplanes. It would seem that you would learn
> that if a rich Nigerian gets on an airplane, it will crash. And why
> does it never occur to you to set-up offshore accounts and write a
> will before you book a flight?

We honestly don't know what more we can do. Sally Struthers *MAY* be
available next year, but her fund raising efficacy may be somewhat
diluted by now.

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

http://improve-usenet.org/

AMD64 or Semperon, deal or no deal? Tad Confused Computer Information 7 04-13-2006 05:43 PM
deal or no deal rbt Python 7 12-28-2005 08:57 PM
Newest URLs on top of address bar A Firefox 1 08-30-2005 01:42 PM
upgrade pix 520 to newest IOS (6.3?) Scott Emick Cisco 8 05-13-2004 04:59 AM
Newest Version of Switch Software ?? Howard Huntley Cisco 4 04-09-2004 02:37 AM

Advertisments