Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection takes ages - help?

Wireless connection takes ages - help?

DavidM

I have a Linksys wired router connected to an NTL cable modem, with a PC
connected directly to that router. I then have a Linksys wireless router
connected to
the first router for use with my laptop via a Linksys wireless adapter. When
it's up and working it's all great, and good strong signal. However about
50% on the time when I fire up the laptop it takes ages to connect (signal
strength still v good) and I have to disable/enable (or repair) and
eventually it will connect. Other times, from either a cold boot or from
hibernate it will connect immediately.

I've tried running with both static and dynamic ip's (on both routers, PC
and laptop), with the SSID broadcast both on and off, and without
encryption. The only thing I've left enabled is the MAC filter on the
wireless router, locked to my laptop adaptor MAC. Having the permanently
connected PC switched on or off makes no difference to the problem.

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks, David.

DLink Guru

Do you have DHCP disabled on the wireless router? It could be in conflict
with the first router.

Robert....

"DavidM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GcS3e.2811$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys wired router connected to an NTL cable modem, with a PC
> connected directly to that router. I then have a Linksys wireless router
> connected to
> the first router for use with my laptop via a Linksys wireless adapter.
> When
> it's up and working it's all great, and good strong signal. However about
> 50% on the time when I fire up the laptop it takes ages to connect (signal
> strength still v good) and I have to disable/enable (or repair) and
> eventually it will connect. Other times, from either a cold boot or from
> hibernate it will connect immediately.
>
> I've tried running with both static and dynamic ip's (on both routers, PC
> and laptop), with the SSID broadcast both on and off, and without
> encryption. The only thing I've left enabled is the MAC filter on the
> wireless router, locked to my laptop adaptor MAC. Having the permanently
> connected PC switched on or off makes no difference to the problem.
>
> Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?
>
> Thanks, David.

DavidM

It is turned off on both routers when I'm running with static ips, and only
turned on in the non wired router when using dynamic ips.
David.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...