Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider and SqlRoleProvider

ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider and SqlRoleProvider

Max2006

Hi,

Can I use ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider and SqlRoleProvider at the same
time? I need to store the list of all my user/passwords in AD and users'
roles in SQL Server.
How is it possible?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Max,

As for Membership and RoleManager providers, they're designed separately,
so we can flexibly use different provider for each of them. Yes, using AD
membership provider+ SQL Role provider is one option.

Here is a very good example from scottgu's blog. It demonstrate use windows
authenitcation + SQL role provider:

#Recipe: Implementing Role-Based Security with ASP.NET 2.0 using Windows
Authentication and SQL Server

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages...-Role_2D00_Bas
ed-Security-with-ASP.NET-2.0-using-Windows-Authentication-and-SQL-Server.asp

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead