Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > XML Database

Reply
Thread Tools

XML Database

 
 
Jonathan Wood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2008
I'm creating a simple site that will display photos, which I'd like to
organize and display.

A full database would be WAY overkill for this site. I'm wondering if an XML
files could be used instead as a simple database. I know it wouldn't be as
efficient, but if I can open, read, search, modify and save the contents, it
seems like it would work pretty good for me.

Concurrency would be nice too, although I don't really think that's
necessary for this current site.

Thanks for any tips.

Jonathan

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2008
On 9 Jun, 18:04, "Jonathan Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm creating a simple site that will display photos, which I'd like to
> organize and display.
>
> A full database would be WAY overkill for this site. I'm wondering if an XML
> files could be used instead as a simple database. I know it wouldn't be as
> efficient, but if I can open, read, search, modify and save the contents, it
> seems like it would work pretty good for me.
>
> Concurrency would be nice too, although I don't really think that's
> necessary for this current site.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Jonathan


XML data is fine. Just need to remember:

(1) There is no support for more than one user modifying the data at
any one time.

(2) Don't have the convenience of the SQL language for retrieving data
where joined tables are involved.

ASP.NET does have good support for typed datasets using XML and in
simple cases XmlDataSource for binding visual controls.

I find it useful to create DataSets in the App_Code directory. There
you can define primary keys with auto-increment and relations between
tables. Then create a class file named as being a DataObject and put
all your db handling in there. Use ObjectDataSources rather than
XmlDataSources because the latter object only reads attribute based
fields (unless you know how to write Xsl transforms). Typed datasets
are in node format.

A good case for XML is data that is largely static and read-ony to
ordinary users but with edting facilities for a site administrator.

Performance wise I don't see any problem unless the volume of data is
very large which would probably warrant SQL server anyway.

HTH
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jonathan Wood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2008
Mark,

> In addition to Stan's comments, I'm a firm believer in using the correct
> tool for the job.


Indeed.

> You say "a full database would be WAY overkill for this site".. I'm not
> really sure what you mean by a "full" database,


Microsoft SQL Server 2005, for example.

> but is there any real reason that you can't use a bog-standard Jet
> database? Instantly, you have all of the advantages of ADO.NET, plus all
> the concurrency you could want...


Here's a couple of reasons off the top of my head: I don't know anything
about Jet database, probably don't have it, don't know how to use it, don't
want to spend a week learning it, and suspect it would also be overkill for
my needs.

> Even if the database contained only one table, it would still be much
> better than using a text file...


So then you appear to disagree with Stan's comments?

Thanks.

Jonathan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Wood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2008
Stan,

> XML data is fine. Just need to remember:
>
> (1) There is no support for more than one user modifying the data at
> any one time.
>
> (2) Don't have the convenience of the SQL language for retrieving data
> where joined tables are involved.
>
> ASP.NET does have good support for typed datasets using XML and in
> simple cases XmlDataSource for binding visual controls.


Cool. All I really want to do is organize the heirarchy of some images and,
rather than hard code them in the HTML files, thought it would be cool to
simply edit an XML file. Not only would this be quicker, but it gives me the
option of writing code to make it easy for my client to modify the data as
well.

I suppose it's possible that two people could attempt to modify the data at
the same time, but in the extremely unlikely event that happens, it would be
okay if it just overwrote whatever else had been done.

It could mean the difference between requiring my client to upgrade his
account to simply modifying the one he has.

> A good case for XML is data that is largely static and read-ony to
> ordinary users but with edting facilities for a site administrator.


That's me.

Thanks.

Jonathan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Wood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2008
I was actually aware that it was the Access database. I just wasn't sure (in
fact, I have no idea) what is available to use it from ASP.NET.

At any rate, it would be overkill for my needs.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming
http://www.softcircuits.com

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jonathan Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>> but is there any real reason that you can't use a bog-standard Jet
>>> database? Instantly, you have all of the advantages of ADO.NET, plus all
>>> the concurrency you could want...

>>
>> Here's a couple of reasons off the top of my head: I don't know anything
>> about Jet database, probably don't have it, don't know how to use it,
>> don't want to spend a week learning it, and suspect it would also be
>> overkill for my needs.

>
> A Jet database is a .mdb file which is the default database file format
> for Microsoft Access, and is shipped with several other Microsoft
> products - it's probably the most common file-based database format in the
> world:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...atabase_Engine
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Wood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2008
Mark,

>> At any rate, it would be overkill for my needs.

>
> <rolls eyes> OK...


What the hell does that mean? I said from the start that a full database
would be WAY overkill. You question almost every term I use and push forward
with database recommendations. (And make dubious statements that there is no
such thing as an Access database.)

Everything is cool with the exchange unless you have an attitude about me
not needing a database. Then, I think you're up in the night.

Jonathan

 
Reply With Quote
 
clintonG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2008
Someone stating there is no such thing as an Access database is not a
dubious statement it is a fact. Access is only referred to as a database
because morons (like you are starting to sound like) do not understand the
difference between a GUI and the actual JET database engine. I suppose we
can thank the Micromoron Marketing fools but still, people just get
downright tired of explaining to lazy fools over and over again.

So regardless, you're really being unnecessarily argumentative Jonathan.
Developers have responded to your concerns now you should accept the advice
or go do your own thing. Either way you and only you manage the consequences
and IMO some very pertinent concerns have been brought to your attention.
Don't ya think?

<%= Clinton Gallagher







"Jonathan Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eA%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark,
>
>>> At any rate, it would be overkill for my needs.

>>
>> <rolls eyes> OK...

>
> What the hell does that mean? I said from the start that a full database
> would be WAY overkill. You question almost every term I use and push
> forward with database recommendations. (And make dubious statements that
> there is no such thing as an Access database.)
>
> Everything is cool with the exchange unless you have an attitude about me
> not needing a database. Then, I think you're up in the night.
>
> Jonathan
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Wood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2008
AFAIC, the only morons are those who think they understand my requirements
better than I do. And this nonsense about Access is simply a game of
semantics. Some people think it's more important to argue about semantics
than discuss the issue being raised, and then even start calling names when
everything they say is not blindly accepted.

Oh well, thanks to one reply, this thread has served a useful purpose to me.
I'm out of here.

Jonathan

"clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O1H9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone stating there is no such thing as an Access database is not a
> dubious statement it is a fact. Access is only referred to as a database
> because morons (like you are starting to sound like) do not understand the
> difference between a GUI and the actual JET database engine. I suppose we
> can thank the Micromoron Marketing fools but still, people just get
> downright tired of explaining to lazy fools over and over again.
>
> So regardless, you're really being unnecessarily argumentative Jonathan.
> Developers have responded to your concerns now you should accept the
> advice or go do your own thing. Either way you and only you manage the
> consequences and IMO some very pertinent concerns have been brought to
> your attention. Don't ya think?
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Jonathan Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eA%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mark,
>>
>>>> At any rate, it would be overkill for my needs.
>>>
>>> <rolls eyes> OK...

>>
>> What the hell does that mean? I said from the start that a full database
>> would be WAY overkill. You question almost every term I use and push
>> forward with database recommendations. (And make dubious statements that
>> there is no such thing as an Access database.)
>>
>> Everything is cool with the exchange unless you have an attitude about me
>> not needing a database. Then, I think you're up in the night.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2008
On 10 Jun, 16:06, "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Someone stating there is no such thing as an Access database is not a
> dubious statement it is a fact. Access is only referred to as a database
> because morons (like you are starting to sound like) do not understand the
> difference between a GUI and the actual JET database engine. I suppose we
> can thank the Micromoron Marketing fools but still, people just get
> downright tired of explaining to lazy fools over and over again.


It is reasonable to make the distinction between Microsoft Access as
an application and the underlying database that it connects to but we
shouldn't be too hard on those who tend to refer to the two entities
interchangeably.

Microsoft themselves do this. The data source component introduced in
Framework 2 that connects to a JET database is called an
AccessDataSource and the help documentation contains the following
words:

"Represents a Microsoft Access database to data-bound controls."

However it may become necessary to emphasise the distinction if this
misleads anyone into thinking that using an AccessDataSource requires
Microsoft Office to be installed or that a knowledge of MicroSoft
Access is required. In reality the only difference between using this
type of component and SqlDataSource is in the connection strings and
some of the SQL syntax (e.g. parameters can't be named in the SQL
command text, only "?" is allowed).

HTH
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Database Database Database Database scott93727@gmail.com Computer Information 0 09-27-2012 02:43 AM
DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase scott93727@gmail.com Computer Information 0 09-26-2012 09:40 AM
Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser) Erik Wasser Perl Misc 5 03-05-2006 10:09 PM
Tools to extract data from SQL database and convert it into XML & insert XML data into SQL databases Harry Zoroc XML 1 07-12-2004 10:10 PM
retrieving xml strings from database, remove pi and build xml Kathy Burke ASP .Net 0 08-04-2003 01:33 PM



Advertisments