Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can I make a class from XML? Serialize?

Can I make a class from XML? Serialize?

Jonah Olsson

Hi guys,

I need a way to dynamically change (or create) a custom class using an
external xml file. Can this be done at all? This is what the class looks
like:

Public Class MemberData
Private _EmailGUID As String
Private _Email As String
Private _FirstName As String
Private _LastName As String
Private _Title As String
Private _Company As String
Private _Address As String
Private _PostalCode As Integer
Private _City As String
Private _Phone As String
Private _Active As Integer
Private _RegDate As DateTime
Private _ChangeDate As DateTime

Public Sub New()
MyBase.New()

_EmailGUID = ""
_Email = ""
_FirstName = ""
_LastName = ""
_Title = ""
_Company = ""
_Address = ""
_PostalCode = 0
_City = ""
_Phone = ""
_Active = 0
_RegDate = Nothing
_ChangeDate = Nothing
_SoftBounces = 0
_HardBounces = 0
_GroupIDs = ""

End Sub

Public Property EmailGUID() As String
Get
Return _EmailGUID
End Get
Set(ByVal Value As String)
If ((Value Is Nothing) OrElse (Value.Length = 0)) Then
Throw New Exception("The email address identifier cannot be
empty")
End If
_EmailGUID = Value
End Set
End Property

Public Property Email() As String
Get
Return _Email
End Get
Set(ByVal Value As String)
If ((Value Is Nothing) OrElse (Value.Length = 0)) Then
Throw New Exception("The email address cannot be empty")
End If
_Email = Value
End Set
End Property

[...]

End Class

Thanks.
Regards Jonah

Nak

Hi there,

Do you mean during Run-time? If so then I don't believe so. Or do you
mean at Design-time? If so then it is "possible" but you would need to
either find an application that can create a class from an XML file or make
one yourself, out of interest what purpose would it serve?

Nick.

"Jonah Olsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23HUU$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> I need a way to dynamically change (or create) a custom class using an
> external xml file. Can this be done at all? This is what the class looks
> like:
>
> Public Class MemberData
> Private _EmailGUID As String
> Private _Email As String
> Private _FirstName As String
> Private _LastName As String
> Private _Title As String
> Private _Company As String
> Private _Address As String
> Private _PostalCode As Integer
> Private _City As String
> Private _Phone As String
> Private _Active As Integer
> Private _RegDate As DateTime
> Private _ChangeDate As DateTime
>
> Public Sub New()
> MyBase.New()
>
> _EmailGUID = ""
> _Email = ""
> _FirstName = ""
> _LastName = ""
> _Title = ""
> _Company = ""
> _Address = ""
> _PostalCode = 0
> _City = ""
> _Phone = ""
> _Active = 0
> _RegDate = Nothing
> _ChangeDate = Nothing
> _SoftBounces = 0
> _HardBounces = 0
> _GroupIDs = ""
>
> End Sub
>
> Public Property EmailGUID() As String
> Get
> Return _EmailGUID
> End Get
> Set(ByVal Value As String)
> If ((Value Is Nothing) OrElse (Value.Length = 0)) Then
> Throw New Exception("The email address identifier cannot

be
> empty")
> End If
> _EmailGUID = Value
> End Set
> End Property
>
> Public Property Email() As String
> Get
> Return _Email
> End Get
> Set(ByVal Value As String)
> If ((Value Is Nothing) OrElse (Value.Length = 0)) Then
> Throw New Exception("The email address cannot be empty")
> End If
> _Email = Value
> End Set
> End Property
>
> [...]
>
> End Class
>

> Thanks.
> Regards Jonah

Jonah Olsson

Hi Nick,

Here's the deal; I'm trying to create a Web Service to be run as an engine
for several client web applications. The engine takes care of all
communication with each database.
The reason I say 'each' is that a customer may use their own SQL server. All
this is just testing, but I came up with the idea when looking at an example
how to dynamically create stored procedures using XML files
(http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_...lin_11_05_02/). Since
I use the MemberData class in the function that contains the call to the
Stored Procedure, and I can change the parameters in the SP using an XML
file, why shouldn't I be able to also make the MemberData class dynamic.

Say, one customer needs to add "Department" to the MemberData class. This
can easily be done in the XML file for the SP, but how to add it to the
MemberData class? I just don't want to re-build the entire Web Service
application.

I'm not sure though if I explained this so people can understand me... =)

Jonah

"Nak" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> Do you mean during Run-time? If so then I don't believe so. Or do you
> mean at Design-time? If so then it is "possible" but you would need to
> either find an application that can create a class from an XML file or

make
> one yourself, out of interest what purpose would it serve?
>
> Nick.

yoz

I am not sure if you want to do it at runtime, but if you do, create a C#
class from the XML (hey you can even do it with XSLT and use the free
csc.exe (C# compiler) in your windows/Microsoft.NET folder to compile.

If you really want to make things hard for yourself, I know (heard) there
are helper classes to create Assemblies straight without code. I don't have
the book with me, but they seem to exists. naaaaaa, option 1 would be far
cheaper.

Yoz

"Jonah Olsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23HUU$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> I need a way to dynamically change (or create) a custom class using an
> external xml file. Can this be done at all? This is what the class looks
> like:
>
> Public Class MemberData
> Private _EmailGUID As String
> Private _Email As String
> Private _FirstName As String
> Private _LastName As String
> Private _Title As String
> Private _Company As String
> Private _Address As String
> Private _PostalCode As Integer
> Private _City As String
> Private _Phone As String
> Private _Active As Integer
> Private _RegDate As DateTime
> Private _ChangeDate As DateTime
>
> Public Sub New()
> MyBase.New()
>
> _EmailGUID = ""
> _Email = ""
> _FirstName = ""
> _LastName = ""
> _Title = ""
> _Company = ""
> _Address = ""
> _PostalCode = 0
> _City = ""
> _Phone = ""
> _Active = 0
> _RegDate = Nothing
> _ChangeDate = Nothing
> _SoftBounces = 0
> _HardBounces = 0
> _GroupIDs = ""
>
> End Sub
>
> Public Property EmailGUID() As String
> Get
> Return _EmailGUID
> End Get
> Set(ByVal Value As String)
> If ((Value Is Nothing) OrElse (Value.Length = 0)) Then
> Throw New Exception("The email address identifier cannot

be
> empty")
> End If
> _EmailGUID = Value
> End Set
> End Property
>
> Public Property Email() As String
> Get
> Return _Email
> End Get
> Set(ByVal Value As String)
> If ((Value Is Nothing) OrElse (Value.Length = 0)) Then
> Throw New Exception("The email address cannot be empty")
> End If
> _Email = Value
> End Set
> End Property
>
> [...]
>
> End Class
>

> Thanks.
> Regards Jonah

Nak

Hi Jonah,

Sorry I have no idea about Web Services at the moment, I haven't gotten
into any of that. But by the sounds of things I am sure that you can make
the engine that you want, I just do not have the knowledge in that field to
provide enough assistance, sorry Maybe someone else will offer advice
here.

Nick.

"Jonah Olsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Nick,
>
> Here's the deal; I'm trying to create a Web Service to be run as an engine
> for several client web applications. The engine takes care of all
> communication with each database.
> The reason I say 'each' is that a customer may use their own SQL server.

All
> this is just testing, but I came up with the idea when looking at an

example
> how to dynamically create stored procedures using XML files
> (http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_...lin_11_05_02/).

Since
> I use the MemberData class in the function that contains the call to the
> Stored Procedure, and I can change the parameters in the SP using an XML
> file, why shouldn't I be able to also make the MemberData class dynamic.
>
> Say, one customer needs to add "Department" to the MemberData class. This
> can easily be done in the XML file for the SP, but how to add it to the
> MemberData class? I just don't want to re-build the entire Web Service
> application.
>
> I'm not sure though if I explained this so people can understand me... =)
>
> Jonah
>
> "Nak" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Do you mean during Run-time? If so then I don't believe so. Or do

you
> > mean at Design-time? If so then it is "possible" but you would need to
> > either find an application that can create a class from an XML file or

> make
> > one yourself, out of interest what purpose would it serve?
> >
> > Nick.

yoz

What you seem to want is to create dynamic web services where you would
specify an xml and it will create a web service that will be mediating
between the database and the client. I am making this assumption for the
rest of the mail.

1) you create an object that mirror the table (or your xml will have to map
database field to .NET Class field) in a C# code and compile it with csc.

2) then you create an object with methods such as Select which returns an
array of the type you created in step 1. You compile this also in another
assembly (maybe you can combine both into one assembly?)

Either:

3a) Make it available via a Remote Object

http://msdn.microsoft.com/architectu...SecNetHT15.asp

The executable could be a remote service.

or

3b) you can create an asmx to put on IIS that provides the Soap Service.

Hopes that help, I am just think aloud here...

There is a tool called Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v1.1\Bin\SoapSuds.exe
(look on google for "soapsuds"). Have a look at it, it may help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...oapsudsexe.asp

PS: You can also have a thread that look for change in XML to regenerate
what has changed. You can even work of a database schema. good luck.

"Jonah Olsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Yoz,
>
> ..and maybe I'm in deep water
> Should I reconsider the entire design? Maybe each client web application

has
> to be custom built to match their database? What do you suggest?
>
> Thanks
> Jonah
>

> "yoz" <netfever@hot_REMOVE_SPAM_mail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:XHUYa.8911$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am not sure if you want to do it at runtime, but if you do, create a

C#
> > class from the XML (hey you can even do it with XSLT and use the

free
> > csc.exe (C# compiler) in your windows/Microsoft.NET folder to compile.
> >
> > If you really want to make things hard for yourself, I know (heard)

there
> > are helper classes to create Assemblies straight without code. I don't

> have
> > the book with me, but they seem to exists. naaaaaa, option 1 would be

far
> > cheaper.

Jonah Olsson

Thanks anyway Nick!

Jonah

"Nak" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jonah,
>
> Sorry I have no idea about Web Services at the moment, I haven't

gotten
> into any of that. But by the sounds of things I am sure that you can make
> the engine that you want, I just do not have the knowledge in that field

> provide enough assistance, sorry Maybe someone else will offer advice
> here.
>
> Nick.

Jonah Olsson

Thanks Yoz!
Your information seems very interesting and I'll start digging into it first
thing tomorrow morning.

Jonah

Cor

Jonah,
It seems clear, but it is not for me, you say a Web Service to run as an
engine (Webservice?) for several client web applications. There is a lot of
difference in that. When it is a webService who runs on side A and then
takes action on Side B will be very complex with authoring, but maybe I see
things wrong.

Like Nick I do not know if I can help you, I do know very few from SQL but
maybe this group can help you together.

And of course, when this solution can made with C# it can be made better
with VB.Net.

Cor

"Jonah Olsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Nick,
>
> Here's the deal; I'm trying to create a Web Service to be run as an engine
> for several client web applications. The engine takes care of all
> communication with each database.
> The reason I say 'each' is that a customer may use their own SQL server.

All
> this is just testing, but I came up with the idea when looking at an

example
> how to dynamically create stored procedures using XML files
> (http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_...lin_11_05_02/).

Since
> I use the MemberData class in the function that contains the call to the
> Stored Procedure, and I can change the parameters in the SP using an XML
> file, why shouldn't I be able to also make the MemberData class dynamic.
>
> Say, one customer needs to add "Department" to the MemberData class. This
> can easily be done in the XML file for the SP, but how to add it to the
> MemberData class? I just don't want to re-build the entire Web Service
> application.
>
> I'm not sure though if I explained this so people can understand me... =)
>
> Jonah
>
> "Nak" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Do you mean during Run-time? If so then I don't believe so. Or do

you
> > mean at Design-time? If so then it is "possible" but you would need to
> > either find an application that can create a class from an XML file or

> make
> > one yourself, out of interest what purpose would it serve?
> >
> > Nick.

yoz

"Cor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f34e3a6$0$19739$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And of course, when this solution can made with C# it can be made better
> with VB.Net.

better with vb.net??