Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > one CAT5 cable, two WiFi laptops

one CAT5 cable, two WiFi laptops

Shawn King

I have a situation where there are two laptops with WiFi, and one
ethernet connection, but no wireless network in range. I would like to
set my laptop to broadcast the connection from the ethernet so the other
laptop can surf the internet at the same time as I. I thought that I
needed to bridge the connection from the wired network to the wireless,
but after I bridge the connections, nothing seems to happen. The other
laptop did not see my wireless card, and I am not sure it was broadcasting.

I have searched the newsgroups and google, but I can't seem to find
anything regarding what I want to do.

Thanks,
SK

=?Utf-8?B?R2VyYXJkIEhlcm1hbnM=?=

if i understand you want to go to the intenet with two laptops and one of
them is connect to the internet?Can you share the files of the laptops?I
think the best way is you must have a router for the connection

"Shawn King" wrote:

> I have a situation where there are two laptops with WiFi, and one
> ethernet connection, but no wireless network in range. I would like to
> set my laptop to broadcast the connection from the ethernet so the other
> laptop can surf the internet at the same time as I. I thought that I
> needed to bridge the connection from the wired network to the wireless,
> but after I bridge the connections, nothing seems to happen. The other
> laptop did not see my wireless card, and I am not sure it was broadcasting.
>
> I have searched the newsgroups and google, but I can't seem to find
> anything regarding what I want to do.
>
> Thanks,
> SK

=?Utf-8?B?R2VyYXJkIEhlcm1hbnM=?=

Shawn i read this at one other question
He has also a connection with cat5 cable and sharing the files and internet

Hi
As long as the Exception are set in the Intranet, Trusted Zone, or what ever
your Firewall calls the control of Local Traffic, you do not have to worry
about outside (Internet) security.
Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html
Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Shawn King" wrote:

> I have a situation where there are two laptops with WiFi, and one
> ethernet connection, but no wireless network in range. I would like to
> set my laptop to broadcast the connection from the ethernet so the other
> laptop can surf the internet at the same time as I. I thought that I
> needed to bridge the connection from the wired network to the wireless,
> but after I bridge the connections, nothing seems to happen. The other
> laptop did not see my wireless card, and I am not sure it was broadcasting.
>
> I have searched the newsgroups and google, but I can't seem to find
> anything regarding what I want to do.
>
> Thanks,
> SK

DLink Guru

You must set your wireless network in AD-HOC mode. Follow the instructions
in the below article.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi

Robert....

"Shawn King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ee%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a situation where there are two laptops with WiFi, and one ethernet
>connection, but no wireless network in range. I would like to set my
>laptop to broadcast the connection from the ethernet so the other laptop
>can surf the internet at the same time as I. I thought that I needed to
>bridge the connection from the wired network to the wireless, but after I
>bridge the connections, nothing seems to happen. The other laptop did not
>see my wireless card, and I am not sure it was broadcasting.
>
> I have searched the newsgroups and google, but I can't seem to find
> anything regarding what I want to do.
>
> Thanks,
> SK

DLink Guru

And after you get your AD-HOC network working you need to enable Internet
Sharing. Use these directions below..

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Robert....

"Shawn King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ee%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a situation where there are two laptops with WiFi, and one ethernet
>connection, but no wireless network in range. I would like to set my
>laptop to broadcast the connection from the ethernet so the other laptop
>can surf the internet at the same time as I. I thought that I needed to
>bridge the connection from the wired network to the wireless, but after I
>bridge the connections, nothing seems to happen. The other laptop did not
>see my wireless card, and I am not sure it was broadcasting.
>
> I have searched the newsgroups and google, but I can't seem to find
> anything regarding what I want to do.
>
> Thanks,
> SK

Shawn King

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was trying to do!

SK

DLink Guru wrote:
> You must set your wireless network in AD-HOC mode. Follow the instructions
> in the below article.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>
> Robert....
>
> "Shawn King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ee%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a situation where there are two laptops with WiFi, and one ethernet
>>connection, but no wireless network in range. I would like to set my
>>laptop to broadcast the connection from the ethernet so the other laptop
>>can surf the internet at the same time as I. I thought that I needed to
>>bridge the connection from the wired network to the wireless, but after I
>>bridge the connections, nothing seems to happen. The other laptop did not
>>see my wireless card, and I am not sure it was broadcasting.
>>
>>I have searched the newsgroups and google, but I can't seem to find
>>anything regarding what I want to do.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>SK

DLink Guru

Glad to help....

Robert...

"Shawn King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was trying to do!
>
> SK
>
> DLink Guru wrote:
>> You must set your wireless network in AD-HOC mode. Follow the
>> instructions in the below article.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>>
>> Robert....
>>
>> "Shawn King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ee%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a situation where there are two laptops with WiFi, and one
>>>ethernet connection, but no wireless network in range. I would like to
>>>set my laptop to broadcast the connection from the ethernet so the other
>>>laptop can surf the internet at the same time as I. I thought that I
>>>needed to bridge the connection from the wired network to the wireless,
>>>but after I bridge the connections, nothing seems to happen. The other
>>>laptop did not see my wireless card, and I am not sure it was
>>>broadcasting.
>>>
>>>I have searched the newsgroups and google, but I can't seem to find
>>>anything regarding what I want to do.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>SK

Pros & Cons: USB WiFi vs. PCcard adapters in LAPTOPS TBerk Wireless Networking 3 10-07-2006 05:12 PM
How to connect 2 laptops directly using WIFI? =?Utf-8?B?Smlncw==?= Wireless Networking 2 01-08-2006 07:30 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
Are laptops automatically WiFi compatible? Bradley Burton Computer Information 2 07-08-2004 04:25 PM
Networking one PC to two laptops kerplunKuK Computer Support 3 09-16-2003 07:02 PM

Advertisments