Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Using redirect instead of forward

Using redirect instead of forward

teser3@hotmail.com

In Tomcat 4.1.27 servlet I am using RequestDispatcher type to forward
a message and get it in JSP. How can I do the same using redirect
instead?

Here is what I have -

Servlet:
request.setAttribute("MyMessage", "Hello");
RequestDispatcher requestDispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher("/
toPage.jsp");
requestDispatcher.forward(request, response);

toPage.jsp
out.println(request.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

Now using redirect would this be the best way?
String myMessage = "Hello";
session.setAttribute("myMessage",myMessage);
response.sendRedirect("*/toPage.jsp");

toPage.jsp
out.println(session.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

Arne Vajh°j

> In Tomcat 4.1.27 servlet I am using RequestDispatcher type to forward
> a message and get it in JSP. How can I do the same using redirect
> instead?
>
> Here is what I have -
>
> Servlet:
> request.setAttribute("MyMessage", "Hello");
> RequestDispatcher requestDispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher("/
> toPage.jsp");
> requestDispatcher.forward(request, response);
>

> toPage.jsp
> out.println(request.getAttribute("MyMessage"));
>

> Now using redirect would this be the best way?
> String myMessage = "Hello";
> session.setAttribute("myMessage",myMessage);
> response.sendRedirect("*/toPage.jsp");
>

> toPage.jsp
> out.println(session.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

I think keeping forward instead of switching to send redirect
is the right way.

Arne

Chris Riesbeck

Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajh├Şj wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> In Tomcat 4.1.27 servlet I am using RequestDispatcher type to forward
>>> a message and get it in JSP. How can I do the same using redirect
>>> instead?
>>>
>>> Here is what I have -
>>>
>>> Servlet:
>>> request.setAttribute("MyMessage", "Hello");
>>> RequestDispatcher requestDispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher("/
>>> toPage.jsp");
>>> requestDispatcher.forward(request, response);
>>>

>>> toPage.jsp
>>> out.println(request.getAttribute("MyMessage"));
>>>

>>> Now using redirect would this be the best way?
>>> String myMessage = "Hello";
>>> session.setAttribute("myMessage",myMessage);
>>> response.sendRedirect("┬*/toPage.jsp");
>>>

>>> toPage.jsp
>>> out.println(session.getAttribute("MyMessage"));

>> I think keeping forward instead of switching to send redirect
>> is the right way.

> It is less traffic between client and server to use forward rather than
> redirct. You can pass information via the request rather than the
> session with forward. You can hang on to server-side resources through
> a forward. You stay within the application context with a forward. A
> forward is faster, cleaner and easier to control than a redirect.

For my personal webapps, I forward after a GET, but redirect after a
successful POST to send the client to a "here's the current state" page.
The page can be reloaded or gone back to without triggering "this page
contains POSTed data." I much prefer this user experience.