Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > SAMBA-esque server in java

SAMBA-esque server in java

Aaron Fude

Hi,

I have a database application written in with strictly hierarchical
data and I would like to expose it to the windows platform as if it
were a mountable network drive. Where do I begin finding out how to do
that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Tom Anderson

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008, Aaron Fude wrote:

> I have a database application written in with strictly hierarchical data
> and I would like to expose it to the windows platform as if it were a
> mountable network drive. Where do I begin finding out how to do that?

There's a thing called FUSE, Filesystem in USErspace, which is a kernel
module which lets userspace programs implement filesystems - the kernel
module talks to the filesystem part of the kernel, and forwards the
requests to registered userspace programs. It was originally a Linux
thing, but has been ported to BSD and MacOS:

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/

and now Windows XP:

http://dokan-dev.net/en/

There's a Java binding for the userspace side:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-j

And one for Windows:

http://yukoba.accelart.jp/2008/05/wi...en-source.html

Which is similar in intent but completely different in detail.

tom

--
Everybody with a heart votes love

Arne Vajh°j

Aaron Fude wrote:
> I have a database application written in with strictly hierarchical
> data and I would like to expose it to the windows platform as if it
> were a mountable network drive. Where do I begin finding out how to do
> that?

I think you have only one choice:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=248550

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

JavaOnMac Junkie wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Aaron Fude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a database application written in with strictly hierarchical
>> data and I would like to expose it to the windows platform as if it
>> were a mountable network drive. Where do I begin finding out how to do
>> that?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,

> http://jcifs.samba.org/
>
> Google is your friend...