Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Rust Never Sleeps When The D3 Is In Town!!

Re: Rust Never Sleeps When The D3 Is In Town!!

Jürgen Exner

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[Subject: Rust Never Sleeps When The D3 Is In Town!!]

I had no idea that a modern camera would be susceptible to rust (unless
maybe in very special circumstances). I really would have thought that
especially Nikon would have a better grasp on it. After all even my 30
year old bottom-line SLR doesn't show any signs of rust.

jue

Mr.T

"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had no idea that a modern camera would be susceptible to rust (unless
> maybe in very special circumstances). I really would have thought that
> especially Nikon would have a better grasp on it. After all even my 30
> year old bottom-line SLR doesn't show any signs of rust.

Unfortunately most camera's are highly susceptible to rust if the batteries
leak though.
Or even if you take it to take it to the beach without due care.

MrT.

Jürgen Exner

"Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:

>"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I had no idea that a modern camera would be susceptible to rust (unless
>> maybe in very special circumstances). I really would have thought that
>> especially Nikon would have a better grasp on it. After all even my 30
>> year old bottom-line SLR doesn't show any signs of rust.

>Unfortunately most camera's are highly susceptible to rust if the batteries
>leak though.
>Or even if you take it to take it to the beach without due care.

Maybe to corrosion, I agree with that. But not to rust.

jue

Mr.T

"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe to corrosion, I agree with that. But not to rust.

Maybe you could define the difference on the iron/steel components for the
rest of us?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

And yes I know Wikipedia is not infallible, so I'd be pleased to hear your
superior contribution.

MrT.

Jürgen Exner

"Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:
>"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Maybe to corrosion, I agree with that. But not to rust.

>Maybe you could define the difference on the iron/steel components for the
>rest of us?

Yes, sorry, you are right. There are still many cameras out there with a
steel frame and there is a a possibility of rust on those.
However the D3 as mentioned by the OP has a magnesium shell instead of a
steel frame and I think you will have a hard time finding any steel
parts on it.

jue

Mr.T

"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, sorry, you are right. There are still many cameras out there with a
> steel frame and there is a a possibility of rust on those.
> However the D3 as mentioned by the OP has a magnesium shell instead of a
> steel frame and I think you will have a hard time finding any steel
> parts on it.

OK, I'll take your word on that. But I'd be surprised if the lens mount,
flash shoe and most of the screws aren't steel. Not to mention mirror
housing, prism housing etc. etc.

But if it was all plastic it couldn't rust, not many consider that an
improvement though

MrT.

Wilba

Mr.T wrote:
> Jürgen Exner wrote:
>>
>> Yes, sorry, you are right. There are still many cameras out there with
>> a steel frame and there is a a possibility of rust on those. However the
>> D3 as mentioned by the OP has a magnesium shell instead of a steel
>> frame and I think you will have a hard time finding any steel parts on
>> it.

> OK, I'll take your word on that. But I'd be surprised if the lens mount,
> flash shoe and most of the screws aren't steel. Not to mention mirror
> housing, prism housing etc. etc.

Springs is one component class that I'd expect to be al steel.