Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Hover ???

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows Hover ???

 
 
NRLMASS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2008

Hi,

I still play the old Windows 95 game called Hover.
The game goes from computer to computer.
Will the game work on Vista Business x64?
It would be awesome if Microsoft would update the program.

Thanks,
Norm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2008
If it contains any 16bit code, including the installer, it will not run on a
64bit OS. However, it will run in a virtual machine using any of the legacy
operating systems that it has run on in a physical computer. If you have an
old Windows cd you can create a virtual machine using VPC 2007 (free
download from MS), install the legacy Windows, and then install the program.
Folks who do this sort of thing hang out in the microsoft.public.virtualpc
newsgroup. Windows licensing rules apply.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en.
Be sure to use the version for x64.

"NRLMASS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hi,
>
> I still play the old Windows 95 game called Hover.
> The game goes from computer to computer.
> Will the game work on Vista Business x64?
> It would be awesome if Microsoft would update the program.
>
> Thanks,
> Norm
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
NRLMASS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2008
Thanks, I'll check that out.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> If it contains any 16bit code, including the installer, it will not run on a
> 64bit OS. However, it will run in a virtual machine using any of the legacy
> operating systems that it has run on in a physical computer. If you have an
> old Windows cd you can create a virtual machine using VPC 2007 (free
> download from MS), install the legacy Windows, and then install the program.
> Folks who do this sort of thing hang out in the microsoft.public.virtualpc
> newsgroup. Windows licensing rules apply.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en.
> Be sure to use the version for x64.
>
> "NRLMASS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I still play the old Windows 95 game called Hover.
> > The game goes from computer to computer.
> > Will the game work on Vista Business x64?
> > It would be awesome if Microsoft would update the program.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Norm
> >
> >

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
DevilsPGD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2008
In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Colin
Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If it contains any 16bit code, including the installer, it will not run on a
>64bit OS.


The 16-bit installer itself may not run, but Microsoft has done some
hackery to use an equivalent 32-bit version in some cases.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2008
Where do you find any "hackery" in your reference?

All I find is the same information that has been out for a
long time - if you need to run a 16-bit installer and/or
program, you will need to do it on version of Windows that
supports it.

There's NO "hackery" to this, it just plain facts!


DevilsPGD wrote:
> The 16-bit installer itself may not run, but Microsoft has done some
> hackery to use an equivalent 32-bit version in some cases.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458

 
Reply With Quote
 
DevilsPGD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2008
In message <#V67#(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Where do you find any "hackery" in your reference?
>
>All I find is the same information that has been out for a
>long time - if you need to run a 16-bit installer and/or
>program, you will need to do it on version of Windows that
>supports it.
>
>There's NO "hackery" to this, it just plain facts!


The following quote is what I call "hackery";
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458

| However, these 64-bit versions of Windows may recognize
| some 16-bit installers and automatically convert the
| 16-bit installer to a 32-bit installer.

Specifically, some 32-bit programs with 16-bit installers *will*
successfully install on 64-bit versions of Windows as Windows recognizes
the 16-bit code and swaps it out for compatible 32-bit code.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2008
It can't be "hackery" if it's something Microsoft did. It
can ONLY be "hackery" is someone else "hacks" the code" to
do something.

The capability for it to "swap out" 16-bit for 32-bit
installer probably has something to do with switches in the
compiler, not "hackery."

It deffinitely doesn't meet the criteria according to the
definition: Hack has several meanings in the technology and
computer science fields. It may refer to a clever or quick
fix to a computer program problem, or to a clumsy or
inelegant solution to a problem.

It's neither of the above.



DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <#V67#(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby Johnson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Where do you find any "hackery" in your reference?
>>
>> All I find is the same information that has been out for a
>> long time - if you need to run a 16-bit installer and/or
>> program, you will need to do it on version of Windows that
>> supports it.
>>
>> There's NO "hackery" to this, it just plain facts!

>
> The following quote is what I call "hackery";
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458
>
> | However, these 64-bit versions of Windows may recognize
> | some 16-bit installers and automatically convert the
> | 16-bit installer to a 32-bit installer.
>
> Specifically, some 32-bit programs with 16-bit installers *will*
> successfully install on 64-bit versions of Windows as Windows recognizes
> the 16-bit code and swaps it out for compatible 32-bit code.

 
Reply With Quote
 
DevilsPGD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2008
In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Bobby Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It can't be "hackery" if it's something Microsoft did. It
>can ONLY be "hackery" is someone else "hacks" the code" to
>do something.


From the looks of it, this would be Microsoft hacking other company's
installers to continue to work.

>The capability for it to "swap out" 16-bit for 32-bit
>installer probably has something to do with switches in the
>compiler, not "hackery."


Switches in the compiler? You do realize we're talking about 16-bit
installers that were likely compiled years ago, right?
 
Reply With Quote
 
NRLMASS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2008

Hi, someone posted a link to download the Hover game. I do not know why it
was removed. Can someone give me the link again? My computer crashed and I
need to download it again. Thanks, Norm

---------------------------------------

"NRLMASS" wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I still play the old Windows 95 game called Hover.
> The game goes from computer to computer.
> Will the game work on Vista Business x64?
> It would be awesome if Microsoft would update the program.
>
> Thanks,
> Norm
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2008
Did you try searching the internet? You can usually find
just about everything by doing an internet search.


NRLMASS wrote:
> Hi, someone posted a link to download the Hover game. I do not know why it
> was removed. Can someone give me the link again? My computer crashed and I
> need to download it again. Thanks, Norm
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> "NRLMASS" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I still play the old Windows 95 game called Hover.
>> The game goes from computer to computer.
>> Will the game work on Vista Business x64?
>> It would be awesome if Microsoft would update the program.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Norm
>>
>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change cell color when hover VB Programmer ASP .Net 3 06-11-2004 10:09 PM
Everytime I hover cursro over a posting, it crosses out with red mark on it.. on every posting alanb ASP .Net 2 04-23-2004 02:23 PM
Hover button Brad ASP .Net 6 01-25-2004 08:29 PM
Toolbar appears on image hover Paul ASP .Net 2 07-16-2003 04:34 PM
hover help / Tool Tip help in ASP.NET data gris control column msnews.microsoft.com ASP .Net 0 06-26-2003 07:20 AM



Advertisments