Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > how to setup ASP.NET on separate machine and debug

how to setup ASP.NET on separate machine and debug

SStory

2 questions.

I have two XPPro boxes. One has VS2003 Pro installed. The other box has
IIS and MSDE installed.

1.) What do I do to make the IIS on this 2nd machine ready for .NET and
ASP.NET? Do I just run dotnetfx on the Prerequisites CD or is there
something more I should do?

2.) What do I need to do in order to be able to debug the ASP.NET app that
is in the IDE On one machine and executing on IIS on another? Do I have to
install remote debugging. Please be specific on the overall procedure.

Thank a lot,

Shane

ps. JUst got version 2003 and the datagrid builder alone should be a big
time saver.

Carl Prothman [MVP]

"SStory >" <(E-Mail Removed)
> I have two XPPro boxes. One has VS2003 Pro installed. The other box has
> IIS and MSDE installed.
>
> 1.) What do I do to make the IIS on this 2nd machine ready for .NET and
> ASP.NET? Do I just run dotnetfx on the Prerequisites CD or is there
> something more I should do?

Yes, just install the .NET Framework.

Note if you install IIS after installing the .NET Framework, then you will need to run
the Aspnet_regiis.exe utility.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...306005&GSSNB=1

> 2.) What do I need to do in order to be able to debug the ASP.NET app that
> is in the IDE On one machine and executing on IIS on another? Do I have to
> install remote debugging. Please be specific on the overall procedure.

Check out the following MS KB article:

HOW TO: Set Up and Use Remote Debugging in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

Plus if you run into any debugging issues, then make sure to check out the following doc
http://gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/lea...erproblems.doc

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman

SStory

Thanks for the tips..

Shane

"Carl Prothman [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "SStory >" <(E-Mail Removed)
> > I have two XPPro boxes. One has VS2003 Pro installed. The other box

has
> > IIS and MSDE installed.
> >
> > 1.) What do I do to make the IIS on this 2nd machine ready for .NET and
> > ASP.NET? Do I just run dotnetfx on the Prerequisites CD or is there
> > something more I should do?
> >

> Yes, just install the .NET Framework.
>
> Note if you install IIS after installing the .NET Framework, then you will

need to run
> the Aspnet_regiis.exe utility.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...306005&GSSNB=1
>

> > 2.) What do I need to do in order to be able to debug the ASP.NET app

that
> > is in the IDE On one machine and executing on IIS on another? Do I have

> > install remote debugging. Please be specific on the overall procedure.
> >

> Check out the following MS KB article:
>
> HOW TO: Set Up and Use Remote Debugging in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
>
> Plus if you run into any debugging issues, then make sure to check out the

following doc

http://gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/lea...ebuggerproblem
s.doc