Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why won't Calc just DIE???!!!

Reply
Thread Tools

Why won't Calc just DIE???!!!

 
 
Raúl Muñiz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2008
My keyboard has a button to launch the default Calc app. Since I have
been unable to find how to change that default to one of my choosing,
I thought I would simply replace the calc.exe in Windows/System32 with
the exe of my preferred calculator app, and rename that app. "calc.exe"
Of course, that would require removing the Windows Calc, and the damn
thing just won't die. I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
started. I've googled this, and can't find a solution. Who will rid me
of this meddlesome piece?

--
Proud to be a pieriansipist
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2008
� wrote:
> My keyboard has a button to launch the default Calc app. Since I have
> been unable to find how to change that default to one of my choosing,
> I thought I would simply replace the calc.exe in Windows/System32 with
> the exe of my preferred calculator app, and rename that app. "calc.exe"
> Of course, that would require removing the Windows Calc, and the damn
> thing just won't die. I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
> several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
> started. I've googled this, and can't find a solution. Who will rid me
> of this meddlesome piece?


Calc.exe is a Windows system file, and the OS will restore it if deleted.

Search for "system file protection" or "system file checker" and you
should find details relevant to your version of Windows.

RL
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Raúl Muñiz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2008
RL wrote:

> � wrote:
> > My keyboard has a button to launch the default Calc app. Since I
> > have been unable to find how to change that default to one of my
> > choosing, I thought I would simply replace the calc.exe in
> > Windows/System32 with the exe of my preferred calculator app, and
> > rename that app. "calc.exe" Of course, that would require removing
> > the Windows Calc, and the damn thing just won't die. I have tried
> > "Add/Remove Windows Components" several times, and every time,
> > "calc.exe" is right back where it started. I've googled this, and
> > can't find a solution. Who will rid me of this meddlesome piece?

>
> Calc.exe is a Windows system file, and the OS will restore it if
> deleted.
>
> Search for "system file protection" or "system file checker" and you
> should find details relevant to your version of Windows.
>
> RL


Thanks, I'd forgotten about sfc. I would rather just have changed the
default calc, but logitech's site gave no clues, and I have been unable
to find any info on how to modify the keyboard's settings.

--
Proud to be a pieriansipist
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Raúl Muñiz did write:

> I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
> several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
> started.


You can't remove it, because it's a core part of the Dimdows kernel. You
know how you have drivers for your storage devices, expansion interfaces
and so on? Well, Calc is a driver for arithmetic. Remove it, and Dimdows
won't be able to do any calculations. Even Excel uses Calc to do all its
actual arithmetic, using interprocess communication via OLE calls.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rhino
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2008
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:23:53 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ra??did write:
>
>> I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
>> several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
>> started.

>
>You can't remove it, because it's a core part of the Dimdows kernel. You
>know how you have drivers for your storage devices, expansion interfaces
>and so on? Well, Calc is a driver for arithmetic. Remove it, and Dimdows
>won't be able to do any calculations. Even Excel uses Calc to do all its
>actual arithmetic, using interprocess communication via OLE calls.


Jesus H Christ,

If you believe that, you are even sicker than I thought. Otherwise, a
**** poor attempt at FUD.
Cheers, Rhino
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rhino did write:

> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:23:53 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ra??did write:
>>
>>> I have tried "Add/Remove Windows Components"
>>> several times, and every time, "calc.exe" is right back where it
>>> started.

>>
>>You can't remove it, because it's a core part of the Dimdows kernel. You
>>know how you have drivers for your storage devices, expansion interfaces
>>and so on? Well, Calc is a driver for arithmetic. Remove it, and Dimdows
>>won't be able to do any calculations. Even Excel uses Calc to do all its
>>actual arithmetic, using interprocess communication via OLE calls.

>
> Jesus H Christ,
>
> If you believe that ...


It's true. Try permanently removing it, and watch how quickly your Dimdows
system gets sick, shrivels up and dies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Raúl Muñiz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2008
Fierce Guppy wrote:

> Run Tweak UI, expand "Explorer" in the left pane, click on "Command
> Keys", then Calculator. Or if you dont have Tweak UI installed run
> RegEdit, go to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\
> AppKey\18\ and alter the ShellExecute string.
>
> Tony


Cheers, Tony, I was duly embarrassed on another forum when reminded of
TweakUI. I've only had this box 2 days, and hadn't installed it yet.
Once done, the change took an eye-blink.

--
PGP key: http://www.savefile.com/files/1593606


--
Proud to be a pieriansipist
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ruby calc.rb or just calc.rb Kaye Ng Ruby 7 07-28-2010 05:21 AM
why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 4 12-21-2006 01:15 PM
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
Please recommend component which I can use for shipping calc Tat ASP .Net 0 10-10-2004 01:48 AM
OpenOffice Products-Writer,Calc,Impress,Draw Sharon Russell Computer Support 8 09-06-2004 04:56 AM



Advertisments