Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Flash 9.0.124.0 on 64-bit Windows Vista

Flash 9.0.124.0 on 64-bit Windows Vista

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> When I click on an HTML in Windows explorer it opens my 32-bit browser
> because that is the default.
>
> Although your web picture states the 64-bit cannot be the default there
> are settings in and out of the register that can set the 64-bit browser
> as the default, but I don't know off hand what those are. It's just
> that people has posted many times about this happening so it's not a
> singular phenomenon.

Well, I'd sure like to know what it is. I didn't set anything during
installation.

--
Crash

Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> When I click on an HTML in Windows explorer it opens my 32-bit
> browser because that is the default.
>
> Although your web picture states the 64-bit cannot be the default
> there are settings in and out of the register that can set the 64-bit
> browser as the default, but I don't know off hand what those are.
> It's just that people has posted many times about this happening so
> it's not a singular phenomenon.

I forced a reset of the default browser by temporarily making Firefox my
default, then setting IE as my default, again. Now when I open HTML
files in Explorer, it uses the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer. The
32 bit IE is also used when I click on the link for the image I posted.
I think I fixed whatever it was, but when I create an Internet Explorer
object in a script (Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")),
it is still the 64 bit version. That makes sense, I guess, since I am
hosting the script with a 64 bit platform.

--
Crash

English is not my native tongue; I'm an American.

R. C. White

Hi, Syquest777.

> One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser,

No need. If you have Win7 x64, then you already have BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit
versions of IE8. As the others have said, the 32-bit version runs by
default, and you can force the choice by browsing to the one you want. And,
of course, you can create a shortcut or a desktop icon, or pin to your Start
menu or your Taskbar - or any of the other ways to start a program in Win7.

You should find the two versions of IE8 here:
32-bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
64-bit version: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Clicking Help | About Internet Explorer will tell you "64-bit Edition" if it
is; the 32-bit edition doesn't mention bitness.

When I find myself getting a "requires Flash" message, I know I'm in the
64-bit IE8. So, I Copy the URL from the Address Bar, then press Start and
select IE(32-bit) from my Start Menu, and Paste that address into it - and
watch the video. Yes, it IS an extra step or two, but usually takes less
than 10 seconds.

I DO wish Adobe would wake up and notice that this is now the 21st Century!
:>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

P.S.: I miss SyQuest! I used their products for about 15 years and loved
my SyQuest SyJet - until it died. I'm not sure if the drive corrupted the
cartridges, or vice versa, but I can't get to all my old archives on those
cartridges. :>(

"Syquest777" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I was freaking out when suddenly, Hulu.com Youtube.com and even
> Blockbuster.com stopped working on my 64 bit Laptop. My mom's new
> computer is also 64 bit, so I was in a fix to watch my videos, or
> download videos.
>
> One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser, and then commit to using
> it when using these types of websites. The one I downloaded was quite
> lame, and seemed to stutter on some video playbacks.
>
> The best and most elegant solution I discovered is to use Goggle Chrome
> as the browser for these websites, as Goggle Chrome is fast, streamlined
> and still uses some of the high end functions of other browsers.
>
> Tell Gates to hang it on his beak, Google Chrome is the best 32 bit
> browser to enjoy the latest Flash player.
>

> --
> Syquest777
> Syquest777's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165276.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...ion/981389.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Tom

"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scott wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:30:47 +0530, Syquest777
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I was freaking out when suddenly, Hulu.com Youtube.com and even
>>> Blockbuster.com stopped working on my 64 bit Laptop. My mom's new
>>> computer is also 64 bit, so I was in a fix to watch my videos, or
>>> download videos.
>>>
>>> One quick fix is to download a 32 bit browser, and then commit to
>>> using it when using these types of websites. The one I downloaded
>>> was quite lame, and seemed to stutter on some video playbacks.
>>>

>> I thought the 32 bit browser was pre-installed with Windows 7.

> It is, but which one gets called depends on where it is called from. The
> default IE desktop icon calls the 32 bit version, and any links loaded
> subsequently use the 32 bit version. On the other hand, if a hyperlink
> is called from an outside source, like my Thunderbird newsreader, the
> 64 bit version of IE is used. Also, if I create an Internet Explorer
> object with a script, the 64 bit kernel is used. I don't know of any way
> to control which build is used except by directly opening the desired
> iexplore.exe program.
> --
> Crash
>
> "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
> ~ W. Edwards Deming ~

IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous Windows
version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the "Change Desktop
Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In any event, the 32bit
version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder and the 64bit in the
Programs Folder.

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Tom wrote:

> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Scott wrote:

>>> I thought the 32 bit browser was pre-installed with Windows 7.

>> It is, but which one gets called depends on where it is called
>> from. The default IE desktop icon calls the 32 bit version, and any
>> links loaded subsequently use the 32 bit version. On the other
>> hand, if a hyperlink is called from an outside source, like my
>> Thunderbird newsreader, the 64 bit version of IE is used. Also, if
>> I create an Internet Explorer object with a script, the 64 bit
>> kernel is used. I don't know of any way to control which build is
>> used except by directly opening the desired iexplore.exe program.

> IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous
> Windows version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the
> "Change Desktop Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In
> any event, the 32bit version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder
> and the 64bit in the Programs Folder.

No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

--
Crash

"When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
~ Yogi Berra ~

Tom

"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tom wrote:
>>

>> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It is, but which one gets called depends on where it is called
>>> from. The default IE desktop icon calls the 32 bit version, and any
>>> links loaded subsequently use the 32 bit version. On the other
>>> hand, if a hyperlink is called from an outside source, like my
>>> Thunderbird newsreader, the 64 bit version of IE is used. Also, if
>>> I create an Internet Explorer object with a script, the 64 bit
>>> kernel is used. I don't know of any way to control which build is
>>> used except by directly opening the desired iexplore.exe program.

>> IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous Windows
>> version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the
>> "Change Desktop Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In
>> any event, the 32bit version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder
>> and the 64bit in the Programs Folder.

> No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
> however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
> sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
> during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
>
> --
> Crash
>
> "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
> ~ Yogi Berra ~

I honestly do not understand why MS removed the ability to have IE on the
desktop. It was much easier for my wife who has very limited vision, so I
created a shortcut for her to use. You are correct in regard to you previous
post in what version of IE will load according to the bit rate. I pretty
much see the 64bit load most times on websites now, not much on the 32
though.

Scott

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:26:57 -0500, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tom wrote:
>>>

>>> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> IE doesn't install to the desktop anymore. Even (like in previous Windows
>>> version), you cannot add it to the desktop through the
>>> "Change Desktop Icons" function in personalizing one's desktop. In
>>> any event, the 32bit version resides in the Program Files(x86) folder
>>> and the 64bit in the Programs Folder.

>> No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
>> however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
>> sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
>> during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
>>
>> --
>> Crash
>>
>> "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
>> ~ Yogi Berra ~

>I honestly do not understand why MS removed the ability to have IE on the
>desktop. It was much easier for my wife who has very limited vision, so I
>created a shortcut for her to use. You are correct in regard to you previous
>post in what version of IE will load according to the bit rate. I pretty
>much see the 64bit load most times on websites now, not much on the 32
>though.

Start - All Programs - Right click Internet Explorer - Send to -
Desktop (create shortcut)

Tom

"Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:26:57 -0500, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> No, it doesn't install to the desktop. It is pinned to the taskbar,
>>> however. I've made so many changes to my configuration that I can't be
>>> sure, but I believe the 32 bit IE was "pinned" to the taskbar by default
>>> during installation. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Crash
>>>
>>> "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
>>> ~ Yogi Berra ~

>>I honestly do not understand why MS removed the ability to have IE on the
>>desktop. It was much easier for my wife who has very limited vision, so I
>>created a shortcut for her to use. You are correct in regard to you
>>previous
>>post in what version of IE will load according to the bit rate. I pretty
>>much see the 64bit load most times on websites now, not much on the 32
>>though.

> Start - All Programs - Right click Internet Explorer - Send to -
> Desktop (create shortcut)

Appreciate that, but I already knew that and that is what I've done. I just
like the IE version there because you can click on it properties there and
make changes to the Internet Options, you can't do that with a shortcut. We
use Firefox anyway, it smokes IE.