Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python library for passwd suitable blowfish hash generation

python library for passwd suitable blowfish hash generation

Damon Getsman

I'm working on a utility that needs to be able to generate /etc/shadow
suitable hashes on an OpenSuSE 10.3 system. All of the shadowed
hashes are blowfish, I believe, from seeing the 'magic' $2a$10$ at the
start of each of the entries. Ideally I would like to find a library
that will take my string and spit out the hash in a compatible ascii
form so that I could just drop it in place or prepend the $2a$10$ and
drop it in, but I'm not afraid of taking the binary and trying to
convert it to compatible ascii.

Does anybody know of any python libraries like this? I've seen a few
of the libraries so far and I'm not sure if I want to use them or not;
documentation was rather lacking.

I'd appreciate any input you all might be able to give on this.

Thanks for your time.

-Damon Getsman

Blowfish hash James Keener Ruby 1 10-28-2010 03:15 AM
blowfish vs. twofish - help needed BB Computer Security 2 12-23-2004 06:32 PM
Blowfish hash anonymous@coolgroups.com Java 2 05-26-2004 12:04 PM
Is there a standard module library function to access /etc/passwd or /etc/group Robin Cull Python 5 07-31-2003 09:35 PM

Advertisments