Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Correctly set network metrics in XP

Correctly set network metrics in XP

smlunatick

I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
wired network adapter will the priority access?

John Wunderlich

smlunatick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:471a711b-9dcb-444f-8929-

> I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
> router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
> my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
> wired network adapter will the priority access?

Open a command prompt window and enter the command:
route print
Each route will probably be listed twice -- once for the wired
connection and once for the wireless connection. The "Metric" column
determines which one is used. The lower number in the Metric column is
preferred. Windows usually defaults to a "1" in this column for
hardwired connections and something like "25" for wireless connections.
If this is not the case for you, you can change this using the:
route change
command. Type "route -?" for the syntax.

HTH,
John

John

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540

But why connect twice to the same router??

"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
> router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
> my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
> wired network adapter will the priority access?

Sean Cleary

On Jun 4, 9:30 am, "John" <a> wrote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540
>
> But why connect twice to the same router??
>
> "smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
> > router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
> > my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
> > wired network adapter will the priority access?

Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
deny this as I am interested.

Sean

DeeJay

"Sean Cleary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jun 4, 9:30 am, "John" <a> wrote:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540
>>
>> But why connect twice to the same router??
>>
>> "smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> >I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
>> > router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
>> > my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
>> > wired network adapter will the priority access?

> Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
> enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
> smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
> higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
> deny this as I am interested.
>
> Sean

You can achieve those (higher bandwidth and/or failover) with NICs that
support adapter teaming. Won't help you speed up your internet speed though.

Sean Cleary

> > Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
> > enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
> > smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
> > higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
> > deny this as I am interested.

> > Sean

> You can achieve those (higher bandwidth and/or failover) with NICs that
> support adapter teaming. Won't help you speed up your internet speed though.

Thank you for your kind reply.
Ok, but if you effectively have two NICs, one striaght and one
wireless, is there a solution?
And why would increased bandwidth not speed up the internet
connection?

Sean

John

"Sean Cleary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
>> > enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
>> > smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
>> > higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
>> > deny this as I am interested.

>> > Sean

>> You can achieve those (higher bandwidth and/or failover) with NICs that
>> support adapter teaming. Won't help you speed up your internet speed
>> though.

> Thank you for your kind reply.
> Ok, but if you effectively have two NICs, one striaght and one
> wireless, is there a solution?

Don't think so.

> And why would increased bandwidth not speed up the internet
> connection?

Unless you have a very fast internet connection (eg: 100Mbps or faster), I
don't see how you can speed it up increasing your local network speed. In
other words, your internet bandwidth is the bottleneck.

VHDL Code Metrics Andrew VHDL 6 06-09-2005 03:06 PM
Session State Performance Metrics =?Utf-8?B?Ukc=?= ASP .Net 2 01-07-2005 12:32 PM
how to map from display metrics to physical metrics... lucy Java 5 08-03-2004 11:24 PM
metrics = hops? Gordon J. Rattray Microsoft Certification 3 05-31-2004 08:42 PM
metrics = hops? Gordon J. Rattray MCSE 4 05-31-2004 08:42 PM

Advertisments