Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setting up home network, A+ newbie

Setting up home network, A+ newbie

Sean Cleary

Hi,
The day after I passed my recent A+ exam I was repairing home
computers and setting up a network.

I have a connection problem.

Systems:
Fifi, laptop, wireless connection to Verizon router, strong signal.
Upstairs Laptop, almost on top of the router.
Gamer, has direct wired connection to the Verizon router and a
wireless connection with a strong signal.
Laptop, same as Gamer.

All machines are winXp, with Laptop being home edition and the rest
being Pro.

Everyone can see the Verizon router.
Gamer and Laptop see and share all folders. Fifi sees Laptop, not
Gamer. Gamer only sees Laptop. Laptop only sees Gamer.

Problem: why can some not see the others?

I set this up using the setup-home-network wizard. Should I also run
the wireless wizard? since my win98 days I have been suspicious of
wizards, the win98 connection wizard would foul up modem connections.

Ok, Gamer's wireless was giving me 2 indications, one that it was
connected to a outside router and one that it was connected to the
Verizon. But since it is also *wired* to the verizon, why should that
matter? I fixed that and still can not get 'view wireless connectons'
to show anything, said not configured. It is configured, just not
through windows but through the manufactures stuff. Maybe I need to
change that?

Sean

Joan Archer

What firewalls do the machines have and have you allowed them through
whatever firewall you're using ?
Joan

--
Joan Archer
http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

"Sean Cleary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> The day after I passed my recent A+ exam I was repairing home
> computers and setting up a network.
>
> I have a connection problem.
>
> Systems:
> Fifi, laptop, wireless connection to Verizon router, strong signal.
> Upstairs Laptop, almost on top of the router.
> Gamer, has direct wired connection to the Verizon router and a
> wireless connection with a strong signal.
> Laptop, same as Gamer.
>
> All machines are winXp, with Laptop being home edition and the rest
> being Pro.
>
> Everyone can see the Verizon router.
> Gamer and Laptop see and share all folders. Fifi sees Laptop, not
> Gamer. Gamer only sees Laptop. Laptop only sees Gamer.
>
> Problem: why can some not see the others?
>
> I set this up using the setup-home-network wizard. Should I also run
> the wireless wizard? since my win98 days I have been suspicious of
> wizards, the win98 connection wizard would foul up modem connections.
>
> Ok, Gamer's wireless was giving me 2 indications, one that it was
> connected to a outside router and one that it was connected to the
> Verizon. But since it is also *wired* to the verizon, why should that
> matter? I fixed that and still can not get 'view wireless connectons'
> to show anything, said not configured. It is configured, just not
> through windows but through the manufactures stuff. Maybe I need to
> change that?
>
> Sean

Sean Cleary

On Jun 4, 8:11 am, "So It Is Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Check that a folder is shared on each computer - probably best to share it
> in document and Settings ? all users
>
> Run Ipconfig on each computer to get the IP address. Then go to one of the
> other computers start button > run > type \\IP address
> This is the easiest way I jump around my network as you can access your
> router to get the IP of each machine or use \\machine name
>
> Check the workgroups is the same in the system Icon
>
> Some thoughts
> Honest ME
>
> "Sean Cleary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi,
> > The day after I passed my recent A+ exam I was repairing home
> > computers and setting up a network.

> > I have a connection problem.

> > Systems:
> > Fifi, laptop, wireless connection to Verizon router, strong signal.
> > Upstairs Laptop, almost on top of the router.
> > Gamer, has direct wired connection to the Verizon router and a
> > wireless connection with a strong signal.
> > Laptop, same as Gamer.

> > All machines are winXp, with Laptop being home edition and the rest
> > being Pro.

> > Everyone can see the Verizon router.
> > Gamer and Laptop see and share all folders. Fifi sees Laptop, not
> > Gamer. Gamer only sees Laptop. Laptop only sees Gamer.

> > Problem: why can some not see the others?

> > I set this up using the setup-home-network wizard. Should I also run
> > the wireless wizard? since my win98 days I have been suspicious of
> > wizards, the win98 connection wizard would foul up modem connections.

> > Ok, Gamer's wireless was giving me 2 indications, one that it was
> > connected to a outside router and one that it was connected to the
> > Verizon. But since it is also *wired* to the verizon, why should that
> > matter? I fixed that and still can not get 'view wireless connectons'
> > to show anything, said not configured. It is configured, just not
> > through windows but through the manufactures stuff. Maybe I need to
> > change that?

> > Sean

Thank you both.
I straightened out the confused PC* (Gamer), Got a file folder on Fifi
to be shared, and IIRC that opened everyone up to everyone.

* by setting up the windows based connection to connect to the router.
Now I can use the 'view available wireless networks' feature.

Sean

Joan Archer

Glad you have everything working OK now and thanks for coming back to tell
us.
Joan