Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > CDFS partition on Flash drive. . .

CDFS partition on Flash drive. . .

Tony Sperling

I recently bought one of these 4GB USB Flash Drives - it shows as a CD in my
filemanager. It had loads of quite useless 'utilities' on it that I know I
will never have any need for. I reformated the FAT32 drive as NTFS and
removed the remaining CDFS partition, but when I boot the next morning that
partition is automatically re-installed. Anybody know if I can delete such a
partition? Partition Manager does not allow it - alternatively, can I delete
it or take measures to have it not be re-installed like this?

Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
Have you tried the Disk Manager included in Windows?
Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc <ENTER>
I guess that destroying the partitions and creating them again with that
utility should be enough.
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> I recently bought one of these 4GB USB Flash Drives - it shows as a CD in my
> filemanager. It had loads of quite useless 'utilities' on it that I know I
> will never have any need for. I reformated the FAT32 drive as NTFS and
> removed the remaining CDFS partition, but when I boot the next morning that
> partition is automatically re-installed. Anybody know if I can delete such a
> partition? Partition Manager does not allow it - alternatively, can I delete
> it or take measures to have it not be re-installed like this?
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Yes, I did. Apparently it doesn't like the idea of working with 'readonly'
material (which it must think that it is). Just now, I even tried having
Nero take a look at it - it does see the drive but when I ask it to erase a
disk (in the vague hope it would treat it as a RW) it only lists actual
CD/DVD drives as available to that option. It's not a big deal, and it's not
for the CD size700MB (1/6, almost) which is effectively lost, I could force
myself to accept that, if I didn't had to have it's futile presence in my
face all of the time.

On the other hand, I may feed it to Suse and let 'gPartEd' try out it's
appetite one day?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony,
> Have you tried the Disk Manager included in Windows?
> Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc <ENTER>
> I guess that destroying the partitions and creating them again with that
> utility should be enough.
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > I recently bought one of these 4GB USB Flash Drives - it shows as a CD

in my
> > filemanager. It had loads of quite useless 'utilities' on it that I know

> > will never have any need for. I reformated the FAT32 drive as NTFS and
> > removed the remaining CDFS partition, but when I boot the next morning

that
> > partition is automatically re-installed. Anybody know if I can delete

such a
> > partition? Partition Manager does not allow it - alternatively, can I

delete
> > it or take measures to have it not be re-installed like this?
> >

> > Tony. . .

Carlos

There are times when Linux seems to come to the rescue, ja!
You might try with one of those bootable distros and see what they can do
with your rogue USB drive partition.

On the other hand..., will there not be an issue of ownerships and obscure
rights that is preventing your attempts to attack that partition?

Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Yes, I did. Apparently it doesn't like the idea of working with 'readonly'
> material (which it must think that it is). Just now, I even tried having
> Nero take a look at it - it does see the drive but when I ask it to erase a
> disk (in the vague hope it would treat it as a RW) it only lists actual
> CD/DVD drives as available to that option. It's not a big deal, and it's not
> for the CD size700MB (1/6, almost) which is effectively lost, I could force
> myself to accept that, if I didn't had to have it's futile presence in my
> face all of the time.
>
> On the other hand, I may feed it to Suse and let 'gPartEd' try out it's
> appetite one day?
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tony,
> > Have you tried the Disk Manager included in Windows?
> > Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc <ENTER>
> > I guess that destroying the partitions and creating them again with that
> > utility should be enough.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently bought one of these 4GB USB Flash Drives - it shows as a CD

> in my
> > > filemanager. It had loads of quite useless 'utilities' on it that I know

> > > will never have any need for. I reformated the FAT32 drive as NTFS and
> > > removed the remaining CDFS partition, but when I boot the next morning

> that
> > > partition is automatically re-installed. Anybody know if I can delete

> such a
> > > partition? Partition Manager does not allow it - alternatively, can I

> delete
> > > it or take measures to have it not be re-installed like this?
> > >

> > > Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Hmm. . .I'm not sure I know what they would do with their ownership if I
threw the thing in the incinerator? Nor am I certain who a CDFS partition
would 'belong' to? [Sony/Philips?]

They shall be welcome to come knocking on the door!

Tony. . .

Carlos

I see you are in a good mood today, Tony.
By ownership I meant right-clicking, Properties and then going to the
Security tab in order to see who's the owner and whether you can change it to
good ol' Tony.
From there on you would be able to do what you wish... In theory, I mean!

Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Hmm. . .I'm not sure I know what they would do with their ownership if I
> threw the thing in the incinerator? Nor am I certain who a CDFS partition
> would 'belong' to? [Sony/Philips?]
>
> They shall be welcome to come knocking on the door!
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Ah, the 'Human Factor', Carlos. That is why IANAL (I am not a Lawyer)

Perhaps an indication that there is too much of Legal Issues surrounding
Windows in general? At least too much for me to remain uninfluenced and not
see EULA's everywhere: "If I cook the rice, is it O.K. in the legal sense to
eat them, or should I send the remains back?".

But you are right of course. I all ready noticed early on that they had been
doing their 'funny' stuff with the 'attributes', that's how I managed to
reformat the regular part of the drive. Now, after having Nero to look it
over, I ejected the CD part which has now become inaccessible and show no
capacity, except 22MB is actually missing from the Removable Drive part, and
the properties on the CD part does not appear - not even the attributes that
I changed earlier. Mysterious!!!

As it is, I would be happy if I could make it disappear and not reappear
when I reboot, so now I just removed it via 'Remove Hardware' wizard, where
it was listed twice, once as a diskdrive and once as a CD. It shall be
exciting to see what happens now.

Thanks, though - and please remember to treat me with some patience.

P.S.

I do have Suse 11.0 Beta as a dedicated installation on one machine, the old
64bit Asrock that I used to test XP x64 - this is probably the most 'good
looking' OS I have yet seen, I am still struggling with some of the aspects
of YAST and SAX and some other of the Suse specifics, and the RC is fresh
out and should have an awesome functionality too. The old 10.3 was a very
complete OS in my view.

Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
If you are on Suse, you might want to read this note then:
http://www.warp2search.net/contentte...olkswagen.html
It is RC1 time!

Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Ah, the 'Human Factor', Carlos. That is why IANAL (I am not a Lawyer)
>
> Perhaps an indication that there is too much of Legal Issues surrounding
> Windows in general? At least too much for me to remain uninfluenced and not
> see EULA's everywhere: "If I cook the rice, is it O.K. in the legal sense to
> eat them, or should I send the remains back?".
>
> But you are right of course. I all ready noticed early on that they had been
> doing their 'funny' stuff with the 'attributes', that's how I managed to
> reformat the regular part of the drive. Now, after having Nero to look it
> over, I ejected the CD part which has now become inaccessible and show no
> capacity, except 22MB is actually missing from the Removable Drive part, and
> the properties on the CD part does not appear - not even the attributes that
> I changed earlier. Mysterious!!!
>
> As it is, I would be happy if I could make it disappear and not reappear
> when I reboot, so now I just removed it via 'Remove Hardware' wizard, where
> it was listed twice, once as a diskdrive and once as a CD. It shall be
> exciting to see what happens now.
>
> Thanks, though - and please remember to treat me with some patience.
>

> P.S.
>
> I do have Suse 11.0 Beta as a dedicated installation on one machine, the old
> 64bit Asrock that I used to test XP x64 - this is probably the most 'good
> looking' OS I have yet seen, I am still struggling with some of the aspects
> of YAST and SAX and some other of the Suse specifics, and the RC is fresh
> out and should have an awesome functionality too. The old 10.3 was a very
> complete OS in my view.
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Yes, I can only agree with the man. Actually, the only thing that is wrong
with OpenSuse, is that it's not a Software Distribution like Gentoo.

Gentoo is right down my ally, but alas, I didn't have the time to learn how
to install it. I tried 'Sabayon' for a long time, which is an installable
Gentoo-based system and I loved that wonderful venture but they turned out
to being intent on having to try out anything that was new - didn't matter
if it worked at all, only requirement was that it was the newest of the new
and every new bug-fixed version had all the experimental stuff in it too,
one half of which wouldn't run and the other half would crash something
else. This pushed me away since you would never end up with a single stable
version from which you could build your own. But I saw enough that I know it
will have to be a software distro. Soon now, my father is going to 'the
home' for proper care and me -I'm going on 60 and may not find a job
anymore, so I shall have time for all that now and I may end up building my
own software distro that'll integrate all the best little goodies - in
software - into a compact *.ISO. A 'Tonix' system, perhaps? Nah - I think
that one may be taken already.

OpenSuse is a community driven project with Novell employed people behind
the scenes, and this makes all the difference. These folk know what they are
doing and they are bent on delivering. And they have a really nice NG forum
too, much like we have.

;o)-

Tony. . .

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Tony,
Did you try diskpart to repartition the flash drive?
There should be more functionality in diskpart inlcuding clean to wipe the
drive is needed.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >From: "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| >Subject: Re: CDFS partition on Flash drive. . .
| >Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:45:45 +0200
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
| >
| >Ah, the 'Human Factor', Carlos. That is why IANAL (I am not a Lawyer)
| >
| >Perhaps an indication that there is too much of Legal Issues surrounding
| >Windows in general? At least too much for me to remain uninfluenced and
not
| >see EULA's everywhere: "If I cook the rice, is it O.K. in the legal
sense to
| >eat them, or should I send the remains back?".
| >
| >But you are right of course. I all ready noticed early on that they had
been
| >doing their 'funny' stuff with the 'attributes', that's how I managed to
| >reformat the regular part of the drive. Now, after having Nero to look it
| >over, I ejected the CD part which has now become inaccessible and show no
| >capacity, except 22MB is actually missing from the Removable Drive part,
and
| >the properties on the CD part does not appear - not even the attributes
that
| >I changed earlier. Mysterious!!!
| >
| >As it is, I would be happy if I could make it disappear and not reappear
| >when I reboot, so now I just removed it via 'Remove Hardware' wizard,
where
| >it was listed twice, once as a diskdrive and once as a CD. It shall be
| >exciting to see what happens now.
| >
| >Thanks, though - and please remember to treat me with some patience.
| >

| >P.S.
| >
| >I do have Suse 11.0 Beta as a dedicated installation on one machine, the
old
| >64bit Asrock that I used to test XP x64 - this is probably the most 'good
| >looking' OS I have yet seen, I am still struggling with some of the
aspects
| >of YAST and SAX and some other of the Suse specifics, and the RC is fresh
| >out and should have an awesome functionality too. The old 10.3 was a very
| >complete OS in my view.
| >

| >Tony. . .

File copying process changed? CDFS vs. NTFS Sooner Computer Support 3 06-25-2009 05:24 PM
Help reading CDFS CDROM A NZ Computing 3 05-08-2004 09:58 AM
CDFS. Which format is this? John Computer Support 4 03-04-2004 01:53 AM
Help..Partition magic made my partition disappear into oblivion Pierre Jarry Computer Support 6 07-14-2003 04:54 AM

Advertisments