Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection corrupted during failed install

Wireless connection corrupted during failed install

barthome1@comcast.net

Hello,

I ran into a problem while trying to install a new version of VMWARE.
The install crashed and somehow both my ethernet connection and the
wireless connection was removed from the "Network Connections" page.

To re-add my ethernet connection, I unistalled the driver for the
network adapter in the Device Manager. Then when Windows XP
reinstalled the driver, it added the connection to Network
Connections.

My problem is the wireless connection. When I try to uninstall the
driver for the wireless adapter, the process hangs and never
finishes. The same thing occurs when I try to update the driver.
Device Manager says that the wireless adapter is working properly.

So is there a way to force an uninstall of the wireless driver or to
manually add the wireless connection?

Bart

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Some drivers come together with the Wireless utility, uninstall the utility
(if there is one) and the drivers.
If it is a laptop disable physically the wireless card (switch or function
key), if it is a Desktop take the Wireless card out.
Reboot and run one time without the Wireless card, and then try to reinstall
again,
I am not sure about the current VMWare, but VPCs usually see the Wireless as
regular Network card on the host computer and treats it as a virtual wired
card.
I.e. it is not installed as Wireless on the VPC.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I ran into a problem while trying to install a new version of VMWARE.
> The install crashed and somehow both my ethernet connection and the
> wireless connection was removed from the "Network Connections" page.
>
> To re-add my ethernet connection, I unistalled the driver for the
> network adapter in the Device Manager. Then when Windows XP
> reinstalled the driver, it added the connection to Network
> Connections.
>
> My problem is the wireless connection. When I try to uninstall the
> driver for the wireless adapter, the process hangs and never
> finishes. The same thing occurs when I try to update the driver.
> Device Manager says that the wireless adapter is working properly.
>
> So is there a way to force an uninstall of the wireless driver or to
> manually add the wireless connection?
>
> Bart
> (E-Mail Removed)

barthome1@comcast.net

I tried what you suggested and the uninstall or update of the driver
still hangs.

Anything else I can do?

Bart

tg

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

boot into safe mode
uninstall ALL: the network hardware in safe mode, make sure its all gone.
take all the network hardware physically outta the machine - if it's integrated turn it
off in the bios
delete any and all folders created by the previous installation process.
reboot into normal mode
scan your computer with spybot 152 and adaware 2008, uninstall any other **** you're not
using.
reboot into safe mode
reinstall service pack 2 (or 3 if that's where you were)
reboot into normal mode
re-install your network hardware one by one. Don't use CD's - get the latest drivers from
the manufacturers website.

if that doesn't work, format the hard drive and rebuild windows from scratch and don't
install hardware with CD's - get the latest drivers from websites.

Pavel A.

Have you tried the safe mode?
As Jack suggested, the hang can be caused by 3rd party software (and I'd
add, it could cause the vmware crash as well).

Regards,
--PA