Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Can't get it centered...

Re: Can't get it centered...

Steve Pugh

On Jun 3, 5:44*pm, "Art" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just started working with a template, and it's centered in Firefox, but now
> IE doesn't center it. *(It should be centered.)
>
> I can't figure out what the problem is; don't use CSS all that much and I
> didn't write the template. *Can anyone see what I'm missing here?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> http://accursos.com

Look at the first line of your source code:
1<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

That '1' before the doctype causes IE to go into quirks mode. As such
it doesn't apply CSS according to the standards, including not
supporting margin: auto;

Remove the '1' and it will be centered.

Whilst your editing that line change the doctype to something more
useful than XHTML1.1 for all the reasons repeated many times in this
group's archives.

Steve

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Steve Pugh wrote:

> Whilst your editing that line change the doctype to something more
> useful than XHTML1.1 for all the reasons repeated many times in this
> group's archives.

Oh yeah. I missed that. Art, see this page, and the test pages.

http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php

--
-bts