Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network Connection problems

Wireless Network Connection problems

QBall2U

I have an IBM Thinkpad laptop (1.6Gh) with built-in LAN, wireless, and IR.
At home, on my DSL, I have no problems connecting to the roiuter via my
wireless but when I am at a hotel, the only way that I can get my laptop to
connect is to insert a linux live cd in the cd/dvd drive aand reboot. Linux
finds the wireless (as well as all the other hardware) and allows me to
connect to the internet. My wireless is a Red Inalblanca (or some
such...linux says Prism 2.4 Wavelan chip, vendor: Intersil Corporation) and
in Windows, when I click the tray icon (it looks like a little tower), the
wording looks like spanish and I cannot read spanish, so, I do not have any
idea what the heck any of it means! I've tried everything to get it to work
in the motel, including disabling, uninstalling, re-enabling, reinstalling,
etcetera ... all to no avail! It ends up disabling the device and won't
re-enable at all! I end up having to boot the live Linux DVD to get on the
internet!

Thanks all,
James

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Some thing involving the Wireless card and the Wireless connection id not
working right.
May be this can Help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"QBall2U" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an IBM Thinkpad laptop (1.6Gh) with built-in LAN, wireless, and IR.
> At home, on my DSL, I have no problems connecting to the roiuter via my
> wireless but when I am at a hotel, the only way that I can get my laptop
> connect is to insert a linux live cd in the cd/dvd drive aand reboot.
> Linux
> finds the wireless (as well as all the other hardware) and allows me to
> connect to the internet. My wireless is a Red Inalblanca (or some
> such...linux says Prism 2.4 Wavelan chip, vendor: Intersil Corporation)
> and
> in Windows, when I click the tray icon (it looks like a little tower), the
> wording looks like spanish and I cannot read spanish, so, I do not have
> any
> idea what the heck any of it means! I've tried everything to get it to
> work
> in the motel, including disabling, uninstalling, re-enabling,
> reinstalling,
> etcetera ... all to no avail! It ends up disabling the device and won't
> re-enable at all! I end up having to boot the live Linux DVD to get on the
> internet!
>
> Thanks all,
> James

tg

"QBall2U" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
>Windows, when I click the tray icon (it looks like a little tower), the
> wording looks like spanish and I cannot read spanish, so, I do not have any
> idea what the heck any of it means!

for goodness sake, spanish?
uninstall the damn thing and re-install using an english language driver.