Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's a digital camera???

What's a digital camera???

Gary Edstrom

It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
heard of them or know what they are!

I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
know that such a thing exists.

I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.

I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.

Gary

Bob Williams

Gary Edstrom wrote:
> It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
> for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
> heard of them or know what they are!
>
> I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
> learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
> but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
> know that such a thing exists.
>
> I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
> from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
> anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
> down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
>
> I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
> that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
> was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
> and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.
>
> Gary

That's really Spooky......There are lots more like them, too.
And their vote counts as much as yours.
Bob Williams

tomm42

On Jun 2, 3:55 pm, Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
> for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
> heard of them or know what they are!
>
> I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
> learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
> but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
> know that such a thing exists.
>
> I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
> from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
> anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
> down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
>
> I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
> that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
> was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
> and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.
>
> Gary

Then there was a hospital MD resident who I had worked with, came into
my office and said " I was working with this doctor yesterday and he
showed me this film that had cardboard and plastic around it, is this
what you call slides? How did you ever put together a talk from
those?"

Tom

Jürgen Exner

Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I ran into such a couple yesterday at church

Considering where you met them...

>I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
>that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
>was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
>and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.

.... I am not surprised at all about this.

jue

Gary Edstrom

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:45:06 GMT, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I ran into such a couple yesterday at church

>Considering where you met them...
>
>... I am not surprised at all about this.

Is that the most intelligent response you can come up with?

m II

Bob Williams wrote:

> That's really Spooky......There are lots more like them, too.
> And their vote counts as much as yours.

I'd be a lot more worried about the ones who can't read.

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

http://improve-usenet.org/

Chris Malcolm

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gary Edstrom wrote:

>> I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
>> that it went way over their head.

> Sounds like a BS story to me.

Depends on the point the OP was trying to make. He may have been
lamenting his lack of explanatory skills. There are plenty of experts
who are useless at explaining stuff to non-experts. I remember once
being asked by a kid to explain something technical to him.

"Why don't you ask Harry?" I asked. "He knows far more about that kind
of thing than me."

"But if you ask him a question he won't give you an answer until he's
thought one up that's so complicated he can't even understand it
himself," said the kid.

Which was in fact a very good description of the way Harry "explained"
things.

--
Chris Malcolm http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Spamm Trappe

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 04:41:29 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

> He probably works for either IBM or Microsoft....

Or, the IRS.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Gary Edstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
> for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
> heard of them or know what they are!
>
> I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
> learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
> but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
> know that such a thing exists.
>
> I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
> from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
> anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
> down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
>
> I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
> that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
> was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
> and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.

Maybe you should place the question differently? They don' t *understand*
the great advantage of using digital cameras, they think of them as modern
gadgets that use flasch chips instead of film. A phtographer told me that
there are people who have digital cameras without a computer, take their
cards to the photo lab as they would with a film , and then just delete the
files from the card. Or, maybe understand that a Pentium II is utterly
obsolete? A friend of mine, who served in Rhodes at the same time with me,
and studied business administration in Kozani, and is from Iraklion, too,
tried to ressurect his ancient PII machine, against all hope, when I told
him a hundred times it was good only for the trash bin. He took it to a
technician, who put a new (PCI) graph card, wtih a DVI output! Of course,
the computer gave the spirit after only a week. So much for modern
technology.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Mark Sieving

On Jun 5, 9:30*am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Or, maybe understand that a Pentium II is utterly
> obsolete?

The computers on the Mars Rovers (which are still returning data after
four years on the surface of Mars) use 80286 processors, which are
considerably older than a Pentium II. It all depends on what you want
to do with the computer.