Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's a digital camera???

What's a digital camera???

Paul Bartram

"Robert Sneddon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> There seems to be some kind of drug sprayed on the handling surfaces of
> new digital cameras that acts through skin pores. It obliges people to
> take pictures of their cats as soon as they get their new camera out of
> the box. My first digital camera, I couldn't figure it out, I was
> holding it and wondering if I should buy a cat. I bought a bigger CF
> card instead.

Heh! I just copied this to a friend in Florida who has been known to take
the occasional cat photo himself.

Thanks for the laugh.

Paul

Poldie

Stewy wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:48:13 +0100, Kennedy McEwen
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gary Edstrom
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>> Why is that so surprising? After 500years since Europeans were
>>> introduced into the Americas, there are still some indiginous tribes who
>>> have never seen a white (or black!) man. Guess what, they probably
>>> haven't even heard of film, let alone digital, cameras!

>> Yes, but those indigenous tribes have not been living in a society
>> immersed in television and other modern technology. It's no surprise
>> that they have never seen a 'white man'.
>>
>> What would be your reaction if a good friend of yours came up to you and
>> asked: "What is 9-11? I've never heard of it!"
>>
>>> My guess is that you aren't very old.

>> What qualifies as 'old' to you? How about 60?
>>

> 9/11?
>
> I think you mean 11/9 here in Britain.

Nobody calls it 11/9 in Britain.

David J Taylor

Poldie wrote:
[]
> Nobody calls it 11/9 in Britain.

We used to talk about four-seven-eleven, though.

<G>

Don't know if that's even sold any more. It is, by a Google search ...
and it even has a Wikipedia entry!

David

patrick j

On 2008-06-02 20:55:07 +0100, Gary Edstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
> from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
> anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
> down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
>
> I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
> that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
> was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
> and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.

Well, I say, hooray for them!

I'm very glad they exist and I hope there are many more like them

This whole technology thing is hugely over-rated.

I'm addicted to new things myself and I keep abreast of developments
etc. but I'm very glad some don't and I suspect they might well be
right

--
Patrick

<http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>