Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's a digital camera???

What's a digital camera???

PDM

> Many years ago I came to this conclusion: If a person cannot explain
> his/her work (hobby, anything else) in terms that an intelligent layperson
> can understand, then he/she doesn't really have a good understanding of
> it. I started reading Scientific American back around 56 or 57 years ago,
> when its purpose was to convey knowledge of current science in language
> that people in other fields would be able to grasp. I had to stop reading
> it about 30 years ago because of time constraints, so I can't say for sure
> that this is still its mission, but I hope it is. Incidentally, note the
> use of "intelligent": there are very many people who don't fall into that
> category.
> Allen

Related to this: A few years ago a friend who works for Canon was asked the
question, "How big is a pixel? At first he thought that it was such an
obvious answer he found it funny. However, after discussing it with me we
both came to the conclusion that maybe it was not and wondered how many
people involved in selling digital equipment would be able to answer it. We
asked 40 staff at Jessops stores (a main UK photography retailer) and PC
World (another main retailer of camera and computer equipment).

The results surprised us: Only one person got it right. Most couldn't answer
the question at all, one gave a very long scientific answer that was wrong
anyway, one took a pencil and made dots of various sizes on a piece of
paper, saying "no it's not this big" before trying to make smaller and
smaller dots. So if these people don't know the obvious answer to a simple
question then maybe it's not surprising that there are people out there who
don't know what a digicam is.

So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

PDM

dj_nme

savvo wrote:
> On 2008-06-06, PDM <pdcm99minus> wrote:
>>> Many years ago I came to this conclusion: If a person cannot explain
>>> his/her work (hobby, anything else) in terms that an intelligent layperson
>>> can understand, then he/she doesn't really have a good understanding of
>>> it.

>> [ ... ]
>> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

> If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
> is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"

That's pretty much the problem with this sort of question.

Does the questioner mean to ask about capture pixels or display pixels?
With capture pixels, I'd suggest looking at the spec sheet for the
sensor in the camera you're asking about.
For display pixels, I'd suggest looking up the "dot pitch" (dpi) for the
monitor in it's manual (or the spec sheet on the manufacturer's website,
if it's on there), dividing 1 by the dpi and the result is the pixel
size in inches.

"What sort of string?" is the question that must be answered first.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Mark Sieving" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jun 5, 9:30 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Or, maybe understand that a Pentium II is utterly
> obsolete?

The computers on the Mars Rovers (which are still returning data after
four years on the surface of Mars) use 80286 processors, which are
considerably older than a Pentium II. It all depends on what you want
to do with the computer.
<end quote>
Well, the usual:surf in the internet, upload digital photos. burn dvds from
mini DV camcorder, scan photos, print docs and photos...
NB.:The processor would be the last part of the computer to give the ghost,
other parts as mobo, graph card and/or hard drive would be long gone, and as
I read in a german article ...."although individual components might still
work, the compound is long useless"
The problem is, that the PII no matter what, is not working. Out of order.
The peripherals, though, all worked fine on my old win2k machine which I
gave my friend... An agfa scanner, an epson printer, a diamond dialup modem,
he needs only a card reader (I think SD) and a firewire card, for the mini
DV camcorder. He's a taxi driver, and he got credit for the cab (brand-new)
and the taxi's license, and he got married, too, so his budget is a bit
tight.....

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "savvo" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2008-06-06, PDM <pdcm99minus> wrote:
>>> Many years ago I came to this conclusion: If a person cannot explain
>>> his/her work (hobby, anything else) in terms that an intelligent
>>> layperson
>>> can understand, then he/she doesn't really have a good understanding of
>>> it.

>> [ ... ]
>> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

> If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
> is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"

Or how many angels can dance on a needle's tip?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
mechanized infantry reservist
hordad AT otenet DOT gr

PDM

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g2bltu$fm3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> ? "savvo" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> [ ... ]
>>> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

>> If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
>> is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"
>>

> Or how many angels can dance on a needle's tip?

Come on guys; you can do better than this; it's one simple sentence.

PDM

Jürgen Exner

"PDM" <pdcm99minus this http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

This question is about as meaningful as how large is a car. It is easy
to answer for a specific make and model, but impossible to answer
accurately in general.

jue

Jürgen Exner

"PDM" <pdcm99minus this (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Come on guys; you can do better than this; it's one simple sentence.

If -and that is a big if- you are talking about digital camera sensors
then it is physical dimensions of the sensor (length x width) divided by
pixel number of the sensor.

Just to pick an example for the D60 this would be
23.6mm x 15.8mm / (10.8x10^6)
or about 34 square micrometers

jue

Blinky the Shark

dj_nme wrote:

> savvo wrote:
>>> [ ... ]
>>> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

>> If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
>> is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"

> That's pretty much the problem with this sort of question.
>
> Does the questioner mean to ask about capture pixels or display pixels?
> With capture pixels, I'd suggest looking at the spec sheet for the sensor
> in the camera you're asking about. For display pixels, I'd suggest looking
> up the "dot pitch" (dpi) for the monitor in it's manual (or the spec sheet
> on the manufacturer's website, if it's on there), dividing 1 by the dpi
> and the result is the pixel size in inches.
>
> "What sort of string?" is the question that must be answered first.

Digital string, in this context.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

PDM

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> PDM wrote:
>
>> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

> It's half the size of 9.76 DPI (plus or minus one dot).

Of course it's a "how long is a piece of string" question. But why did 39
out of 40 sales staff fail to spot it? And just telling a newbie this would
fail to convey the real meaning. I'm glad to see the posters on this
usergroup are more intelligent. I've always though the people using cameras
are more intelligent than those selling them.
Jurgen's answer comes closest I think.

PDM.

Gary Edstrom

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:29:16 -0500, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:55:07 -0700, Gary Edstrom
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
>>for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
>>heard of them or know what they are!
>>
>>I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
>>learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
>>but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
>>know that such a thing exists.
>>
>>I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
>>from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
>>anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
>>down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
>>
>>I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
>>that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
>>was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
>>and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.
>>
>>Gary

>And why does this matter? Are they nice people? Isn't that what
>really matters? Not everybody needs (much less wants the
>latest/greatest technology!)

And when did I say that it mattered? I am simply surprised that after
over 10 years on the market, that someone has not at least heard of
digital cameras. I could care less if someone simply doesn't want to
use them.

Gary