Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Receiving snmp traps in perl on Win platform?

Receiving snmp traps in perl on Win platform?

Dirk Van de moortel

{
OOPS, posted this to moderated group perl.cpan.discuss as
well, so it can take a while to get through, if it gets through at all
Otherwise sorry for duplicate posting
}

We need to set up a server 2003 (or a win XP system) to accept
and act upon traps sent out from a storage system. Responding
to various error conditions, this system can be fully configured to
send traps.

I am wondering what must be done on the trap-accepting side.

I am fairly new to SNMP but I managed to install the NET::SNMP
module from
http://search.cpan.org/~dtown/Net-SN...ib/Net/SNMP.pm
and use it to interrogate and manipulate a remote SNMP agent (SNMP
service running on a XP-system), i.o.w. all the examples work.
I can do get and sets, and I can send traps to the remote system.
With a little utility like "SNMP Trap Watcher" I see the traps arriving.

Now I would like to create a perl script on the remote system to
listen for traps, and, at this point, to just show them on the console.
The NET::SNMP module seems not to support this.

I have been looking around I do find some examples of trap
listeners, but they all seem to work on unit or Linux only.

The module SNMP
http://search.cpan.org/~hardaker/SNMP-5.0401/SNMP.pm
seems promising, but when I try to install it with ppm, I get
ppm> install SNMP
====================
Install 'SNMP' version 0.0 in ActivePerl 5.8.7.815.
====================
Error: error downloading 'http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/Bundle-
NetSNMP.tar.gz': 404 Not Found

Can anyone help me out here?

Tia,
Dirk Vdm

By the way, this might be of interest:
==============================
ppm> rep describe 1
Describing Active Repository 1:
Name: ActiveState Package Repository
Location: http://ppm.ActiveState.com/PPM/ppmse...PPM/Server/SQL
Type: PPMServer 3.0
ppm>
ppm>
ppm> rep describe 2
Describing Active Repository 2:
Name: uwinnipeg
Location: http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
Type: Webpage
ppm>
ppm>
ppm> search snmp
Searching in Active Repositories
1. Apache-WebSNMP [0.11] Apache-WebSNMP
2. Net-SNMP [5.2] Net-SNMP
3. Net-SNMP [5.2] Object oriented interface to SNMP
4. Net-SNMP-alpha [3.9.6] Net-SNMP-alpha
5. Net-SNMP-HostInfo [0.02] Net-SNMP-HostInfo
6. Net-SNMP-Interfaces [1.2] Net-SNMP-Interfaces
7. POE-Component-SNMP [0.01] POE-Component-SNMP
8. SNMP [0.0]
9. SNMP-BridgeQuery [0.58] SNMP-BridgeQuery
10. SNMP-Effective [1] SNMP-Effective
11. SNMP-MIB-Compiler [0.06] SNMP-MIB-Compiler
12. SNMP-Persist [0.05] SNMP-Persist
13. SNMP-Util [1.8] Snmp modules to perform snmp set,get,walk,next,walk_hash etc.
ppm>
==============================

Dirk Van de moortel

Dirk Van de moortel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
xuV0k.74432$(E-Mail Removed)2
> {
> OOPS, posted this to moderated group perl.cpan.discuss as
> well, so it can take a while to get through, if it gets through at all
> Otherwise sorry for duplicate posting
> }
>
> We need to set up a server 2003 (or a win XP system) to accept
> and act upon traps sent out from a storage system. Responding
> to various error conditions, this system can be fully configured to
> send traps.
>
> I am wondering what must be done on the trap-accepting side.

Got it.

Dirk Vdm

Receiving SNMP traps Olivier Perl Misc 1 04-06-2006 11:40 AM
SNMP traps / SYSLOG documentation Marco Roda Cisco 1 10-12-2004 12:43 PM
sending snmp traps Ross Cisco 0 03-01-2004 01:53 AM
Syslog or SNMP traps? Illusion Cisco 3 11-04-2003 08:30 AM

Advertisments