Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: XP and scheduling a shutdown.

Re: XP and scheduling a shutdown.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Just wondering if this is possible. I have a number of tasks such as
> backups and AV software updates etc that I want to schedule to run
> late each evening - say at 11 pm. I then want an automated scheduled
> shutdown that will close any open applications.
>
> I have tried using shutdown.exe but that never works - it just has no
> effect at all. Any ideas?

I haven't tried it, but try the psshutdown util from:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals

--
Duncan

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> > Just wondering if this is possible. I have a number of tasks such as
> > backups and AV software updates etc that I want to schedule to run
> > late each evening - say at 11 pm. I then want an automated scheduled
> > shutdown that will close any open applications.
> >
> > I have tried using shutdown.exe but that never works - it just has no
> > effect at all. Any ideas?

> I haven't tried it, but try the psshutdown util from:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals

This is the direct link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/s...41(en-us).aspx

--
Duncan

Intuitive

Crash wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:59:43 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>>> Just wondering if this is possible. I have a number of tasks such as
>>> backups and AV software updates etc that I want to schedule to run
>>> late each evening - say at 11 pm. I then want an automated scheduled
>>> shutdown that will close any open applications.
>>>
>>> I have tried using shutdown.exe but that never works - it just has no
>>> effect at all. Any ideas?

>> I haven't tried it, but try the psshutdown util from:
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals

> Perfect - will download and try it. Many thanks.
> --
> Crash

The "shutdown.exe" tool that comes with Windows works like a charm.

Did you include any switches with the command?!
You might want to try -s to shutdown, and -t x for a countdown
I.E shutdown -s -t 5
It can also be used to shutdown other PCs on the LAN/WAN, with the -m
\\netbiosname switch

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <g25rbg$imm$(E-Mail Removed)>, Intuitive did write:

> The "shutdown.exe" tool that comes with Windows works like a charm.
>
> Did you include any switches with the command?!
> You might want to try -s to shutdown, and -t x for a countdown
> I.E shutdown -s -t 5
> It can also be used to shutdown other PCs on the LAN/WAN, with the -m
> \\netbiosname switch

Does it have a man page?