Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Image Storage Device Recommendations

Image Storage Device Recommendations

Benny

I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download all
my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of at
least 80GB capacity.
I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
Any recommendations?
regards
Benny

Benny

"Benny" <no spam http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download all
>my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of at
>least 80GB capacity.
> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
> Any recommendations?
> regards
> Benny

A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least 20 to
30 GB capacity for the image device.
thanks
Benny

David J Taylor

Benny wrote:
> "Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can
>> download all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable
>> storage device of at least 80GB capacity.
>> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not
>> essential. Any recommendations?
>> regards
>> Benny
>>

> A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least
> 20 to 30 GB capacity for the image device.
> thanks
> Benny

Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your card to
a DVD while travelling.

David

Benny

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
message news:hmr0k.1025$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Benny wrote:
>> "Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can
>>> download all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable
>>> storage device of at least 80GB capacity.
>>> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not
>>> essential. Any recommendations?
>>> regards
>>> Benny
>>>

>> A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least
>> 20 to 30 GB capacity for the image device.
>> thanks
>> Benny

> Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your card to
> a DVD while travelling.
>
> David

Yes, will consider the DVD burning option - just not sure how easy that will
be in Paris and Italy.
To buy say 2 x 8 GB cards is just as expensive as buying an Epson P3000
which holds 40GB.
thanks
Benny

DD-Diver

"Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download all
>my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of at
>least 80GB capacity.
> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
> Any recommendations?
> regards
> Benny

1. Bring a notebook, backup to internal (or even external) harddrive or
DVD's
2. Buy a Canon M80: has even same batteries as your 40D, accepts CF and SD
cards

Lucas
(from Holland)

Benny

"DD-Diver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:484253cd$0$14343$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> "Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download
>>all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of
>>at least 80GB capacity.
>> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
>> Any recommendations?
>> regards
>> Benny
>>

> 1. Bring a notebook, backup to internal (or even external) harddrive or
> DVD's
> 2. Buy a Canon M80: has even same batteries as your 40D, accepts CF and SD
> cards
>
> Lucas
> (from Holland)

Thanks Lucas
I will have a look at the M80. The battery compatibility sounds good.
My wife and I will be flying from Australia so want to keep any extras (like
this) as light and small as possible. Hence the laptop would probably not
fit at the moment.
As an alternative, do you know any reliable camera stores in Europe
(particularly Paris and Rome) where I could burn my images to DVD?
Benny

DD-Diver

"Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:%As0k.6723$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DD-Diver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:484253cd$0$14343$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>>
>> "Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download
>>>all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device
>>>of at least 80GB capacity.
>>> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
>>> Any recommendations?
>>> regards
>>> Benny
>>>

>> 1. Bring a notebook, backup to internal (or even external) harddrive or
>> DVD's
>> 2. Buy a Canon M80: has even same batteries as your 40D, accepts CF and
>> SD cards
>>
>> Lucas
>> (from Holland)
>>

> Thanks Lucas
> I will have a look at the M80. The battery compatibility sounds good.
> My wife and I will be flying from Australia so want to keep any extras
> (like this) as light and small as possible. Hence the laptop would
> probably not fit at the moment.
> As an alternative, do you know any reliable camera stores in Europe
> (particularly Paris and Rome) where I could burn my images to DVD?
> Benny

Don't know any camera stores where you can burn on DVD (anywhere in Europe),
surely they have print stations that accept all kinds of cards and disks.
Maybe look for internet cafés? Those are all over the place...over here in
Holland, and almost certainly in all capital cities on the continent. Some
hotels have computer/internet facilities as well. You could also mail the
images to yourself AND carry a device like the M80 (double sure).

Lucas

Chris Malcolm

Benny <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:hmr0k.1025$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Benny wrote:
>>> "Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>> A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least
>>> 20 to 30 GB capacity for the image device.
>>> thanks
>>> Benny

>> Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your card to
>> a DVD while travelling.
>>
>> David
>>

> Yes, will consider the DVD burning option - just not sure how easy that will
> be in Paris and Italy.

You could use a local cyber cafe to copy your images across the web to
some convenient file server. Should be possible to arrange enough
space either for free, or for a very small fee.

--
Chris Malcolm (E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

David J Taylor

Benny wrote:
> "David J Taylor"

[]
>> Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your
>> card to a DVD while travelling.
>>
>> David
>>

> Yes, will consider the DVD burning option - just not sure how easy
> that will be in Paris and Italy.
> To buy say 2 x 8 GB cards is just as expensive as buying an Epson
> P3000 which holds 40GB.
> thanks
> Benny

Benny,

We actually have an Epson P3000, and it has proved very useful - both for
storage and as a hand-held slide-show device. But we do find that we only
take it on long trips, in particular when only one of us is travelling so
the wife's/husband's pictures aren't available as a backup. The price of
2GB cards is now so low that if I needed 16GB I would just buy 8 x 2GB
cards (mine are SD cards). Would 4 x 4GB CF cards be a good compromise?

The DVD burning will take time and effort, but it does give you a backup.
Is that time and effort worthwhile? You find yourself searching Paris for
an Internet Cafe (you feel you can trust) rather than enjoying the sites?

Cheers,
David

Atheist Chaplain

"Benny" <no spam (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cbq0k.6675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download all
>my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of at
>least 80GB capacity.
> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
> Any recommendations?
> regards
> Benny

PhotoBank 2.5" SATA USB OTG HDD Enclosure with SD/CF/MS/Duo Slots = Price:
$37.42 free postage anywhere in the world

http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_E-ST98081...T980811AS.html
2.5", Seagate 80GB SATA 5400rpm 8MB , ST980811AS = Price $79.86 + freight
(say $20)
and you could probably pick up a 2.5" HDD even cheaper if you looked harder
than my 2 second search

so for less than $140 you have 80 gig to travel anywhere photo storage
--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?