Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Puppies get bored with the Canon Powershot A720

Puppies get bored with the Canon Powershot A720

Dudley Hanks

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ght/index.html

Little Breton doesn't get very excited when somebody takes her picture...

Hope you enjoy,
Dudley

Burgerman

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ght/index.html
>
> Little Breton doesn't get very excited when somebody takes her picture...
>
> Hope you enjoy,
> Dudley

Your unedited image is better although the dog is a bit blurred..

The edited image shows an obvious "line" around the dog where you have
selected dog/sky.
The dog was maybe sharpened but it has caused the noise in the image to make
strange colours on highlights in the fur and the tongue shows tons of noise.
The sky was blurred or smeared to remove noise.

Just my opinion of course.

Ofnuts

Burgerman wrote:
> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ght/index.html
>>
>> Little Breton doesn't get very excited when somebody takes her picture...
>>
>> Hope you enjoy,
>> Dudley
>>

> Your unedited image is better although the dog is a bit blurred..
>
> The edited image shows an obvious "line" around the dog where you have
> selected dog/sky.
> The dog was maybe sharpened but it has caused the noise in the image to
> make strange colours on highlights in the fur and the tongue shows tons
> of noise. The sky was blurred or smeared to remove noise.
>
> Just my opinion of course.

Also mine

--
Bertrand

Dudley Hanks

"Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4842cbc2$0$30956$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Burgerman wrote:
>> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ght/index.html
>>>
>>> Little Breton doesn't get very excited when somebody takes her
>>> picture...
>>>
>>> Hope you enjoy,
>>> Dudley
>>>

>> Your unedited image is better although the dog is a bit blurred..
>>
>> The edited image shows an obvious "line" around the dog where you have
>> selected dog/sky.
>> The dog was maybe sharpened but it has caused the noise in the image to
>> make strange colours on highlights in the fur and the tongue shows tons
>> of noise. The sky was blurred or smeared to remove noise.
>>
>> Just my opinion of course.

> Also mine
>
> --
> Bertrand

Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps a lot.

This is the first time my son has tried this type of post processing, so
there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Any suggestions on how to
improve the application of effects?

Thanks,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks

> "Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4842cbc2$0$30956$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Burgerman wrote:
>>> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Your unedited image is better although the dog is a bit blurred..
>>>
>>> The edited image shows an obvious "line" around the dog where you have
>>> selected dog/sky.
>>> The dog was maybe sharpened but it has caused the noise in the image to
>>> make strange colours on highlights in the fur and the tongue shows tons
>>> of noise. The sky was blurred or smeared to remove noise.
>>>
>>> Just my opinion of course.

>> Also mine
>>
>> --
>> Bertrand

> Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps a lot.
>
> This is the first time my son has tried this type of post processing, so
> there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Any suggestions on how to
> improve the application of effects?

Also, any comments on removing noise with Photoshop?

How does one do it? Should it be done first?

Thanks for any feedback,
Dudley

Paul Furman

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> Dudley Hanks wrote
>> Ofnuts wrote

>>> Also mine
>>>

>> Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps a lot.
>>
>> This is the first time my son has tried this type of post processing, so
>> there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Any suggestions on how to
>> improve the application of effects?

> Also, any comments on removing noise with Photoshop?
>
> How does one do it? Should it be done first?

I've tried Noiseware Community Edition and it works OK for free. Use the
original and noise reduced version in layers and leave detail in some
areas where the noise isn't a problem. For your background blur, feather
the selection (select menu).

Also, the camera may already be applying a lot of noise reduction, and a
lot of sharpening. See if those can be turned down, then you sharpen &
noise reduce only as needed in photoshop. If it's not oversharpened, it
may not need to have the noise toned down.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Burgerman

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4842cbc2$0$30956$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Burgerman wrote:
>>> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Your unedited image is better although the dog is a bit blurred..
>>>
>>> The edited image shows an obvious "line" around the dog where you have
>>> selected dog/sky.
>>> The dog was maybe sharpened but it has caused the noise in the image to
>>> make strange colours on highlights in the fur and the tongue shows tons
>>> of noise. The sky was blurred or smeared to remove noise.
>>>
>>> Just my opinion of course.

>> Also mine
>>
>> --
>> Bertrand

> Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps a lot.
>
> This is the first time my son has tried this type of post processing, so
> there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Any suggestions on how to
> improve the application of effects?
>
> Thanks,
> Dudley

First it would be better to start with a sharper shot because trying to
sharpen things after the event to make up for it just makes more visible
noise at the same time. When selecting the dogs outline use large feathered
edges so the join cant be seen.

Most oif those things wouldnt need fixing if you used a camera with less
noise to begin with and a faster shutter speed and more accurate focus. But
the only way to learn is to play. For many hours...

Dudley Hanks

"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZxB0k.5917$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> Dudley Hanks wrote
>>> Ofnuts wrote

>>> Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps a lot.
>>>
>>> This is the first time my son has tried this type of post processing, so
>>> there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Any suggestions on how
>>> to improve the application of effects?

>> Also, any comments on removing noise with Photoshop?
>>
>> How does one do it? Should it be done first?

> I've tried Noiseware Community Edition and it works OK for free. Use the
> original and noise reduced version in layers and leave detail in some
> areas where the noise isn't a problem. For your background blur, feather
> the selection (select menu).
>
> Also, the camera may already be applying a lot of noise reduction, and a
> lot of sharpening. See if those can be turned down, then you sharpen &
> noise reduce only as needed in photoshop. If it's not oversharpened, it
> may not need to have the noise toned down.
>
> --
> Paul Furman

So, am I right in concluding that sharpening enhances noise?

I'm not sure if I can turn down noise reduction in camera, but I'll check
into it. As for in camera sharpening, I think there's a couple of things I
can do:

I've got my camera's colour mode set to vivid. I think I'll set that to
normal / off / whatever the term is for it. That may get rid of extra
in-camera sharpening. Or, there is a custom colour setting where I can set
things like saturation, sharpness and contrast. I could try using this mode
and reduce the sharpness a tad.

First, I'll go with just going to the normal mode and see what happens.

Regarding the blurry dog, I was shooting stopped down to f/8 because I
wanted to see how my camera's settings compared to the sunny 16 rule. It
was a bit of a cloudy day, and I was shooting in a bit of shade, so I
figured that the sunny 16 rule would probably call for about f/8 at 1/100
sec for the ISO 100 setting. My camera actually chose 1/125, but that's
pretty close. I was also using a flash fill because the sun wasn't angled
in from the front, but was coming in more from the side, possibly even a bit
behind.

I guess that little Breton's movement was a bit much for the 1/125, although
I thought it would have been quick enough.

I suppose, the bit of a blur could also have come from not focusing on the
pup. But, i thought that she should have been the subject the focusing
system would have chosen.

Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your suggestions.

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks

"Burgerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yLC0k.13173$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4842cbc2$0$30956$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Also mine
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bertrand

>> Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps a lot.
>>
>> This is the first time my son has tried this type of post processing, so
>> there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Any suggestions on how to
>> improve the application of effects?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dudley
>>

> First it would be better to start with a sharper shot because trying to
> sharpen things after the event to make up for it just makes more visible
> noise at the same time. When selecting the dogs outline use large
> feathered edges so the join cant be seen.
>
> Most oif those things wouldnt need fixing if you used a camera with less
> noise to begin with and a faster shutter speed and more accurate focus.
> But the only way to learn is to play. For many hours...

I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks for the tips on applying affects. I'll pass them on to my son. He's
quite interested in playing with the program, but he's more into turning
George W. into a one-eyed freak than seriously improving images. But, I
think he'll come around in time.

As for the camera, I am contemplating moving up to an S series Canon, or
something similar, eventually, but the A720 is pocketable, and I do most of
my shots while I'm just plodding around.

It's been a while since I took any serious pics, so I've got a number of
things to relearn. And, it doesn't help when I show an obviously flawed pic
to someone only to hear, "yeah, that's great!" because they just can't bring
themselves to critiquing a blind guy's handiwork.

That's why I like this group so much. you guys know what you're talking
about, well, at least most of you, and you cut right to the chase. It's
both refreshing and helpful.

Take Care,
Dudley

tony cooper

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 20:03:51 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's been a while since I took any serious pics, so I've got a number of
>things to relearn. And, it doesn't help when I show an obviously flawed pic
>to someone only to hear, "yeah, that's great!" because they just can't bring
>themselves to critiquing a blind guy's handiwork.
>
>That's why I like this group so much. you guys know what you're talking
>about, well, at least most of you, and you cut right to the chase. It's
>both refreshing and helpful.

I'm a little confused by this. A black dog's picture was taken with
the sun coming over the dog's left shoulder (right as you look at the
image) and the editing was done to blur the background.

I don't understand why. The background is not the problem. Any
editing done will result in an image that doesn't show much in the way
of detail of the dog. It's going to remain an image of a black dog in
shadow.

It seems to me that the photographer would take a number of shots and
select the one that was taken under the best lighting conditions, the
best position considering the background, and shows the most detail of
the dog, and *then*, if he wanted to, blur the background. It's not
that difficult to get a dog to move around.

A black dog is a difficult shot, so multiple images to choose from
should be a given. The alternative is to dye the dog a lighter color.
Golden Labs are easier to photograph.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida