Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Standing on the Giants shoulders... :-)

Re: Standing on the Giants shoulders... :-)

Noah Roberts

James Kanze wrote:

> I'm not too sure what you mean by "compile time rationals",

Then you're actually completely wrong about having been aware of this
programming method for the last 15 years. The static_rational that Andy
is talking about is central to his, and many others, units library.

Noah Roberts

kwikius wrote:
> On May 31, 10:20 am, Erik Wikström <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I mean, the step from run-time scaling to
>> compile-time is not that large.

> Yep Its a tiny step, but (though I say so myself) ... brilliant and
> renders the old technique redundant because its both faster and more
> accurate.
>
> SIUnits ( fermilab --> Walter Brown, hence Marc Patterno <--fermilab)
> has been around for many years and they didnt figure it out, their
> approach loses precision and is slow.
>
> Makes em look pretty stupid don't it... ?
>
> Of course when you explain the technique everybody says... well thats
> obvious..I could have thought of that...
>
> Difference is ... I Did think of that.
>
> Now it seesm there is a lot of other people running around trying to
> slyly imply that They thought of it.

It's actually an obvious step to do unit conversion at compile time. I
was working on it independently before I ran into its use in your
library and decided it was a waste to research a solution to a problem
that had been solved. The static_rational metafunction, which you admit
to using from somewhere else, was key to solving the problem. So you
were standing on others' shoulders as well.