Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > VOIP gateway in NZ

VOIP gateway in NZ

Roger_Nickel

I want to ditch my Telecom landline but the cellphone is a bit expensive
to use for everything. I can get a good signal from the Kelburn Whoosh
base station and 1Gig/month costs $30. This is less than the landline and
speed is about 60Kb/second, not quite broadband but way faster than dial-
up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the Telecom
POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh already
offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a promise.

sam

Roger_Nickel wrote:
> I want to ditch my Telecom landline but the cellphone is a bit expensive
> to use for everything. I can get a good signal from the Kelburn Whoosh
> base station and 1Gig/month costs $30. This is less than the landline and
> speed is about 60Kb/second, not quite broadband but way faster than dial-
> up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the Telecom
> POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh already
> offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a promise.

Mauricio at geekzone posted about his experience recently.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/3254

EMB

Roger_Nickel wrote:
> I want to ditch my Telecom landline but the cellphone is a bit expensive
> to use for everything. I can get a good signal from the Kelburn Whoosh
> base station and 1Gig/month costs $30. This is less than the landline and
> speed is about 60Kb/second, not quite broadband but way faster than dial-
> up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the Telecom
> POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh already
> offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a promise.

I'm playing with VOIP connections at work at the moment (stops me
getting bored and makes me look busy). Both xnet and 2talk seem to work
ok so far.

http://www.xnet.co.nz/vfx/
http://www.2talk.co.nz/

It might be worth signing up for a free 2talk account to see if it's
viable on your net connection.

Roger_Nickel

On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:49:38 +1200, Roger_Nickel wrote:

> I want to ditch my Telecom landline but the cellphone is a bit expensive
> to use for everything. I can get a good signal from the Kelburn Whoosh
> base station and 1Gig/month costs $30. This is less than the landline
> and speed is about 60Kb/second, not quite broadband but way faster than
> dial- up. The big question is - is there a public VOIP gateway to the
> Telecom POTS in NZ (or even overseas) and how much does it cost?. Whoosh
> already offer VOIP in Southland but so far VOIP in Wellington is only a
> promise.

Thanks for replies; after last month I have had a gutsful of Telecom's
chiseling. Enough. Time for a change.

Tony

> Thanks for replies; after last month I have had a gutsful of Telecom's
> chiseling. Enough. Time for a change.

WorldXchange (xnet.co.nz) VOIP with a Linksys adaptor just works. Its
cheap, fast and reliable.

RL

EMB wrote:
> I'm playing with VOIP connections at work at the moment (stops me
> getting bored and makes me look busy). Both xnet and 2talk seem to work
> ok so far.

I have been with 2Talk for a while now, and have found the service to be
very good. Much better than iTalk which I was using previously.

Residential customers get all the same features as business cutomers, so
if you want to try out advanced configurations link trunking, you can do
so, even on free accounts.

RL