Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Xalan on the command-line, classpath

Xalan on the command-line, classpath

awebguynow

What are the rules for classpath, when using Xalan on the command
line?

I'm using java J2SE 1.6.0 but haven't used Xalan for a while and ran
into all kinds of troubles today. Of course, I went to the Apache
site and got the binary jar's, since it looks like Sun stopped
including it.

I'd also like some advice on using compiling servlets that will use
Xalan for a Tomcat webapp. Do you have to explicitly specify your
classpath, still ?
Thats what I had to do, but I thought there were better ways.
Suggestions please.
TIA

Joseph J. Kesselman

awebguynow wrote:
> What are the rules for classpath, when using Xalan on the command
> line?

http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html:
# Issues running Xalan-Java on JDK 1.3
# Issues running Xalan-Java on JDK/JRE 1.4 or higher
# Issues running Xalan-Java on Tomcat with JDK 1.4

awebguynow

I had no luck trying to use xalan j_2_7_1 either on command-line
(WinXP) or in Tomcat environment. Is it unusable ?
I'm sure I am not alone in this problem.
What is the best solution ? To step back to a usable version of
Xalan ? maybe 2.6 ?

Also, what is the compiled jar for ? xsltc.jar ? is this needed ?
when ?
TIA for your reply.

Joseph J. Kesselman

awebguynow wrote:
> Is it unusable ?

Worked fine for many others. Have you followed the pointer I gave and
checked out the instructions on Xalan's website?

> Also, what is the compiled jar for ? xsltc.jar ? is this needed ?
> when ?

XSLTC mode executes stylesheets by compiling them down to Java code
rather than by interpreting them. This takes longer to prepare the
stylesheet for use, but thereafter yields faster execution; it's
particularly useful for stylesheets which will be invoked repeatedly and
changed relatively rarely. Again, see Xalan's online documentation for
more information about this trade-off.