Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: "Photoshopping" (or gimping) and truth-in-advertising

Re: "Photoshopping" (or gimping) and truth-in-advertising

Don Lancaster

Ignoramus23731 wrote:
> I am learning slowly the various capabilities of image editing program
> GIMP. Which looks to be a very nice program. My question is how much
> editing would you say is acceptable, from the standpoint of
> truthfulness in advertising.
>
> Check this out for example:
>
> http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/gimp/001/
>
> The first change, to me, made the part more visible and did not
> distort its representation.
>
> But as for the last picture, do you think that it is going too far?

Your postproc is not remotely enough.
You are not even backing up for a good start.

Edge finders are totally useless. Do it by hand to get it right.

Everything, of course, should be done to one pixel accuracy in true
Architect's perspective. Totally shadowless or nearly so. With all
lettering perfect.

Your background should be more subtle.
Try http://www.tinaja.com/glib/knockout.bmp

The only time "too much" might happen would be in the case of a rare
collectible where exact condition is important.

Check the ads in Newsweek or a gal putting lipstick on for a date to get
an idea of how much is appropriate.

See the examples on http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...00QQsassZabeja

and the custom tools at http://www.tinaja.com/glib/postproc.pdf

All you need to do decent work are my free utilities, Paint, and
Imageview32.

An example of a "just barely enough" postproc appears as
http://www.tinaja.com/images/bargs/tek576.jpg

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (92428-4073
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Lumpy

Ignoramus6145 wrote:
> ...For now, I think, I will try to make a
> lot of editiing, but with the purpose of
> highlighting the item only.

Show them both in your listing.

"Pic 1 is an unaltered photo of the
banana straightener hold down clamp"

"In Pic 2 I've increased the flux capacitor
setting to show the serial numbers on the
bottom of the U bolt retainer groove"

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

Don Lancaster

Ignoramus6145 wrote:
> On 2008-05-30, Don Lancaster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ignoramus23731 wrote:
>>> I am learning slowly the various capabilities of image editing program
>>> GIMP. Which looks to be a very nice program. My question is how much
>>> editing would you say is acceptable, from the standpoint of
>>> truthfulness in advertising.
>>>
>>> Check this out for example:
>>>
>>> http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/gimp/001/
>>>
>>> The first change, to me, made the part more visible and did not
>>> distort its representation.
>>>
>>> But as for the last picture, do you think that it is going too far?
>>>

>> Your postproc is not remotely enough.
>> You are not even backing up for a good start.
>>
>> Edge finders are totally useless. Do it by hand to get it right.
>>
>> Everything, of course, should be done to one pixel accuracy in true
>> Architect's perspective. Totally shadowless or nearly so. With all
>> lettering perfect.
>>
>> Your background should be more subtle.
>> Try http://www.tinaja.com/glib/knockout.bmp
>>
>> The only time "too much" might happen would be in the case of a rare
>> collectible where exact condition is important.
>>
>> Check the ads in Newsweek or a gal putting lipstick on for a date to get
>> an idea of how much is appropriate.
>>
>> See the examples on http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...00QQsassZabeja
>>
>> and the custom tools at http://www.tinaja.com/glib/postproc.pdf
>>
>> All you need to do decent work are my free utilities, Paint, and
>> Imageview32.
>>
>> An example of a "just barely enough" postproc appears as
>> http://www.tinaja.com/images/bargs/tek576.jpg

> Very interesting perspective. For now, I think, I will try to make a
> lot of editiing, but with the purpose of highlighting the item only.

Again, if your images are not as good as a Newsweek ad, they need more work.

--

rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email: (E-Mail Removed)