Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: WORA high performance

Re: WORA high performance

Tom Anderson

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

> We've discussed several times how Java isn't really well suited to
> scientific computing for various reasons. I was wondering if there is a
> write once run anywhere language that is suited to scientific computing.

How portable is properly-written Fortran 90?

Oh god, i've just discovered there's a Fortran 2003. It's got object
orientation.

tom

--
Oh, well of course *everything* looks bad if you remember it

Arne Vajh°j

Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
>> We've discussed several times how Java isn't really well suited to
>> scientific computing for various reasons. I was wondering if there is
>> a write once run anywhere language that is suited to scientific
>> computing.

> How portable is properly-written Fortran 90?
>
> Oh god, i've just discovered there's a Fortran 2003. It's got object
> orientation.

Fortran is not WORA, because you will need to recompile
and there most certainly are compiler specific extensions.

But the typical scientific computing program is probably
very portable. Because number crunching is not really
platform specific and that type of programs rarely
accesses database, do GUI, wants to start default
browser, want to access registry, want to map global
memory and all that stuff that often makes porting
hard.

Arne

Tom Anderson

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Arne Vajh°j wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
>>> We've discussed several times how Java isn't really well suited to
>>> scientific computing for various reasons. I was wondering if there is a
>>> write once run anywhere language that is suited to scientific computing.

>> How portable is properly-written Fortran 90?
>>
>> Oh god, i've just discovered there's a Fortran 2003. It's got object
>> orientation.

> Fortran is not WORA, because you will need to recompile

Oh yes, forgot about that!

> and there most certainly are compiler specific extensions.

Nobody's forcing you to use them, though. If you stick to
standard-compliant F90, i think you'll be pretty portable. ISTR that
fortran wraps IO enough that you can even forget about endianness, BICBW.

> But the typical scientific computing program is probably very portable.
> Because number crunching is not really platform specific and that type
> of programs rarely accesses database, do GUI, wants to start default
> browser, want to access registry, want to map global memory and all that
> stuff that often makes porting hard.

True.

tom

--
Would you like to remember more?

Java claims WORA owais Java 27 06-26-2012 07:43 PM
Font WORA blues. Roedy Green Java 5 07-29-2008 12:09 AM
Mac WORA Roedy Green Java 15 05-18-2008 02:42 PM
Looking for high-end 18- or 19-inch flat panels with high resolution. KL234 Digital Photography 6 02-26-2004 08:18 PM
USB High Speed against USB Non High Speed DannyD1355 Computer Support 1 09-07-2003 02:59 AM

Advertisments