Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: filename.gif or filename.gif.jpg?

Re: filename.gif or filename.gif.jpg?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Guy Macon wrote:

> Here is a weird one...

Author error. <g>

> On this webpage...
>
> http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/helpm...Manual123.html
> If you right click the Icon and look at the properties, it says that
> it is a .gif named thought16.gif
>
> If you try to "save Image As", it only allows you to select .jpg and
> saves it as thought16.gif.jpg

The file is named ".gif" but it is really a ".jpeg" file.
http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/helpm.../thought16.gif
JPEG Image
0.43 KB (445 bytes)
15px 15px

Several of the others are also misnamed JPEGs. Use Firefox's "Page
Information" tool, Media tab, to see what type they really are.
Right-click > Properties shows the same in my Firefox, Mozilla/5.0 (X11;
U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008050509 Firefox/3.0b5

--
-bts

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Guy Macon wrote:

> The file is named ".gif" but it is really a ".jpeg" file.
> http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/helpm.../thought16.gif
> JPEG Image
> 0.43 KB (445 bytes)
> 15px 15px
>
> Several of the others are also misnamed JPEGs. Use Firefox's "Page
> Information" tool, Media tab, to see what type they really are.
> Right-click > Properties shows the same in my Firefox,

What is important to realize is that the file extension as the
determination of file type is a "Windows" thing. Other OSs and with
webservers it is not used. With the webserver it is the content type in
the header that is important. The filename could be "anything", literally

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO