Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless to wireless bridge question

wireless to wireless bridge question

Bob

I'm about to depart the hot southwest desert for the mountains in our
travel trailer. Last year the WIFI service was marginal (mainly low
signal levels inside the trailer), so this year I've installed an
outside directional antenna on a rotor. Since both my wife and I want
to use computers at the same time, I created an in trailer network.

It consists of: from the house Qwest(Actionteck) DSL modem to a
Linksys WET54g bridge(located in the trailer) (wired) to a Linksys 4
port hub. From the hub I connect (wired) to my computer. Also,
(wired) to a Linksys WAP54g access point. Connecting to the WAP54g
(wireless) is a WMB54g music bridge to the trailer audio system. When
feeding audio from my computer the system works OK.

When I connected the laptop (wireless) to the WAP54g, I get a good
signal level connection, however when browsing the WEB, the screens
are somewhat jumbled or I get a "can't display that page" error.
Connecting directly (wireless) to the Qwest modem, things are OK.

Am I trying to do something that isn't feaseable?
Thanks

FYI, the coax feeding the WET54G is about 8 inches - I mounted the
WET54g just inside the roof and the antenna is just outside the roof.
Besides, the signal level is shown as 100% on both WIFI sources.
(Probably not quite the same, but certainly adaquate.)

Phillip Windell

You would have the Bridge picking up the signal and connecting into the RV
Park's system,...then you connect a simple Switch to it. Connect wired
machines to the Switch. Connect the WAP54g directly to the Switch as well
and the wireless machine would use that.

I see no place or reason for there to ever be a "DSL Modem" anywhere.

If you use the WRT54g3g you won't need to use any "hotspot" and can use it
anywhere there is a strong enough cell tower signal. There would be a
WRT54g3g,...and that is it,...nothing else.

There are 3 variations of it depending on if you use Sprint, AT&T or
Verizon. It has built in Switch ports for the Wired machines and a built in
Wireless Access Point for the Wireless machines.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4676233028B15

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm about to depart the hot southwest desert for the mountains in our
> travel trailer. Last year the WIFI service was marginal (mainly low
> signal levels inside the trailer), so this year I've installed an
> outside directional antenna on a rotor. Since both my wife and I want
> to use computers at the same time, I created an in trailer network.
>
> It consists of: from the house Qwest(Actionteck) DSL modem to a
> Linksys WET54g bridge(located in the trailer) (wired) to a Linksys 4
> port hub. From the hub I connect (wired) to my computer. Also,
> (wired) to a Linksys WAP54g access point. Connecting to the WAP54g
> (wireless) is a WMB54g music bridge to the trailer audio system. When
> feeding audio from my computer the system works OK.
>
> When I connected the laptop (wireless) to the WAP54g, I get a good
> signal level connection, however when browsing the WEB, the screens
> are somewhat jumbled or I get a "can't display that page" error.
> Connecting directly (wireless) to the Qwest modem, things are OK.
>
> Am I trying to do something that isn't feaseable?
> Thanks
>
> FYI, the coax feeding the WET54G is about 8 inches - I mounted the
> WET54g just inside the roof and the antenna is just outside the roof.
> Besides, the signal level is shown as 100% on both WIFI sources.
> (Probably not quite the same, but certainly adaquate.)

Bob

On Fri, 30 May 2008 08:44:39 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You would have the Bridge picking up the signal and connecting into the RV
>Park's system,...then you connect a simple Switch to it. Connect wired
>machines to the Switch. Connect the WAP54g directly to the Switch as well
>and the wireless machine would use that.
>
>I see no place or reason for there to ever be a "DSL Modem" anywhere.
>
>If you use the WRT54g3g you won't need to use any "hotspot" and can use it
>anywhere there is a strong enough cell tower signal. There would be a
>WRT54g3g,...and that is it,...nothing else.
>
>There are 3 variations of it depending on if you use Sprint, AT&T or
>Verizon. It has built in Switch ports for the Wired machines and a built in
>Wireless Access Point for the Wireless machines.
>
>http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4676233028B15

I'm sorry to confuse you. I'm using my DSL in the house to emulate
the RV Park's WIFI system. The Qwest modem has WIFI built in, thus my
being able to use it.
Essentally, what you sugges is what I did. The only thing different
is I'm using a hub rather than a switch. As I said, I can connect to
a web page sometimes. But when I can connect the page listing is not
displayed correctly.

NTL, thanks for the info.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you are going to use two computers you should use a Router.
That will make sure that you can have two valid private IP and it would add
security to your Network.
The setting should be Antenna, to WET54g, to WAN port of a Wireless Router.
Then you can plug your PC to the Router, and use the Wireless as well with
the same Router.
The general principle is described here, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...