Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > debugging regexes

debugging regexes

Roedy Green

I wonder what techniques people use for debugging regexes.

Some tools I thought would be useful

1. proofreader to help get \ quoting right.
http://mindprod.com/project/regexproofreader.html

2. composer http://mindprod.com/project/regexcomposer.html

3. some sort of tool when you don't get a match to give you the index
of the rightmost char that DID match.

4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
tells you which match and which don't. Perhaps it could prune
strings/patterns to find the best match.

--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Roedy Green

On Fri, 30 May 2008 01:19:57 GMT, Roedy Green

see http://mindprod.com/project/regexdebugger.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

voorth

On May 30, 3:38 am, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008 01:19:57 GMT, Roedy Green
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
> >4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
> >tells you which match and which don't. Perhaps it could prune
> >strings/patterns to find the best match.

> seehttp://mindprod.com/project/regexdebugger.html
> --
>
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

I was pleasantly surprised by this Eclipse plugin:
http://brosinski.com/regex/

Does anyone know of comparable plugins for other IDE's ?

--Henk

Lord Zoltar

On May 29, 9:19*pm, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I wonder what techniques people use for debugging regexes.
>
> Some tools I thought would be useful
>
> 1. proofreader to help get \ quoting right.http://mindprod.com/project/regexproofreader.html
>
> 2. composerhttp://mindprod.com/project/regexcomposer.html
>
> 3. some sort of tool when you don't get a match to give you the index
> of the rightmost char that DID match.
>
> 4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
> tells you which match and which don't. *Perhaps it could prune
> strings/patterns to find the best match.
>
> --
>
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

Personally, I prefer Expresso: http://www.ultrapico.com/Expresso.htm
It's a Windows-only app though. I do remember that KDE also shipped
with a regex tool, of similar capabilities. I don't know what's out
there for OS X, but I'm sure there's something out there.

GK

Try this one: http://www.bastian-bergerhoff.com/ec...ckREx/toc.html