Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Help needed in choosing an algorithm for Cryptographic services.

Help needed in choosing an algorithm for Cryptographic services.

abhishek

Hi group, recently my employer asked me too implement encryption/
decryption for secure data transfer over internet. Problem is that the
client application is written using C# and the webserver where i need
to store the information is developed using python.

My situation of dilemma is which cryptographic method suits me best
for this purpose.

Help/Suggestions are urgently required

Thank you ,
Abhishek

Paul Rubin

abhishek <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Hi group, recently my employer asked me too implement encryption/
> decryption for secure data transfer over internet. Problem is that the
> client application is written using C# and the webserver where i need
> to store the information is developed using python.

Use one of the SSL wrappers. Note that if you're using a recent
Debian distro, make sure to take the latest OpenSSL update since they
had an unbelievably bad screwup that destroyed their versions of
OpenSSL's security for a while. That applies to all Debian based
distros including Ubuntu, but not to non-Debian derivatives such as
Fedora.

Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner

[ Peter Pearson <(E-Mail Removed)> ]

> On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:27:35 -0500, Larry Bates wrote:
>> abhishek wrote:
>>> Hi group, recently my employer asked me too implement encryption/
>>> decryption for secure data transfer over internet. Problem is that the
>>> client application is written using C# and the webserver where i need
>>> to store the information is developed using python.
>>>
>>> My situation of dilemma is which cryptographic method suits me best
>>> for this purpose.
>>>
>>> Help/Suggestions are urgently required

> Data security is a complex and difficult problem, and you are likely
> to fail in the worst possible way: implementing something that is
> weak but that you believe to be strong. Some advice: (1) Use
> off-the-shelf products like PGP or GPG; don't write your own.

full ack.

> (2) Read Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography to get a feeling
> for the dimensions of the problem.

While this book is most certainly worth reading, I doubt, that it is
necessary to gain in-depth knowledge of cryptography to make use of it in
your code.

If you transfer data over SSL-connection, you should rely on them being
safe, you don't need to understand the details. You only need to know,
what SSL can protect against, and what it can't protect against.

(Rosa Luxemburg)