Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VPN dial connects, but does not work

VPN dial connects, but does not work

walterbyrd

Does that make sense?

I am using a Dell M90 laptop running XP, and using Comcast from home.
I am connected to the comcast modem directly. I am not going though
any sort of wireless router/NAT device.

The VPN was configured for me in Arlington, Virgina. I am in Denver,
Colorado.

When I tried the VPN from my office in Arlington, it worked. When I
tried from my home in Denver, the VPN seemed to connect, I did not get
any error messages, but it wouldn't work. I can not connect to any of
the secure sites. I just get a "Page not found" error.

It would be difficult for me to get the laptop back to Arlington.
Although, that is what the tech support people want. Comcast will not
give me any help.

Is there anything I can try?

Trendkill

On May 29, 2:28 pm, walterbyrd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does that make sense?
>
> I am using a Dell M90 laptop running XP, and using Comcast from home.
> I am connected to the comcast modem directly. I am not going though
> any sort of wireless router/NAT device.
>
> The VPN was configured for me in Arlington, Virgina. I am in Denver,
> Colorado.
>
> When I tried the VPN from my office in Arlington, it worked. When I
> tried from my home in Denver, the VPN seemed to connect, I did not get
> any error messages, but it wouldn't work. I can not connect to any of
> the secure sites. I just get a "Page not found" error.
>
> It would be difficult for me to get the laptop back to Arlington.
> Although, that is what the tech support people want. Comcast will not
> give me any help.
>
> Is there anything I can try?

Are you able to surf and use the internet before VPN (may have to
disable a proxy)? Are you getting connected to the vpn or aren't
you? Did you get prompted for a password? Did it get accepted and
connect you, or did you get an error message? What does your
'ipconfig' look like once you 'connect'? Do you have a vpn IP and a
physical IP? Can you ping the default gateway for each? If not, what
are the results? What is your company's network/security engineer
saying? Does he see you connecting? If/when connected to the vpn,
can you do anything on the remote network (ie surf, email, chat, etc)?

walterbyrd

> Are you able to surf and use the internet before VPN (may have to
disable a proxy)?

Yes. And I am not using a proxy.

> Are you getting connected to the vpn or aren't

you?

I seem to connect, I don't get any errors. But, I can not reach
anything after I am "connected"

> Did you get prompted for a password?

Yes.

> Did it get accepted and connect you, or did you get an error message?

My password is accepted and I do not get an error message.

> What does your 'ipconfig' look like once you 'connect'?

Looks like I am connected to comcast.

> Do you have a vpn IP and a physical IP?

Not that I can see.

> Can you ping the default gateway for each?

No.

If not, what are the results?

I don't see a gateway for the VPN.

What is your company's network/security engineer saying?

He wants me to bring the PC in, but that is difficult. I am in
Colorado, the company is in Virgina.

> Does he see you connecting? If/when connected to the vpn,

can you do anything on the remote network (ie surf, email, chat, etc)

I can not do anything the remote network.

Trendkill

On Jun 3, 6:21*pm, walterbyrd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Are you able to surf and use the internet before VPN (may have to

> disable a proxy)?
>
> Yes. And I am not using a proxy.
>
> > Are you getting connected to the vpn or aren't

> you?
>
> I seem to connect, I don't get any errors. But, I can not reach
> anything after I am "connected"
>
> > Did you get prompted for a password?

> Yes.
>
> > Did it get accepted and connect you, or did you get an error message?

> My password is accepted and I do not get an error message.
>
> > What does your 'ipconfig' look like once you 'connect'?

> Looks like I am connected to comcast.
>
> > Do you have a vpn IP and a physical IP?

> Not that I can see.
>
> > Can you ping the default gateway for each?

> No.
>
> If not, what are the results?
>
> I don't see a gateway for the VPN.
>
> What is your company's network/security engineer saying?
>
> He wants me to bring the PC in, but that is difficult. I am in
> Colorado, the company is in Virgina.
>
> > Does he see you connecting? *If/when connected to the vpn,

> can you do anything on the remote network (ie surf, email, chat, etc)
>
> I can not do anything the remote network.

Do you have the windows firewall enabled? If so, disable it then
retry? Any other security software that you know of? You should see
an IP for your LAN as well as an IP for your VPN or something is not
working. I would suspect windows firewall or something similar for
starters.

walterbyrd

On Jun 3, 4:40 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do you have the windows firewall enabled? If so, disable it then
> retry? Any other security software that you know of? You should see
> an IP for your LAN as well as an IP for your VPN or something is not
> working. I would suspect windows firewall or something similar for
> starters.

The windows firewall was on. I turned it off, but the VPN still does
not work. I am also running Mcaffe, but that does not seem to be
blocking anything.

Any easy way to check for closed ports with XP?

Merv

Are you using a Cisco VPN client - if so what version ?

Do you know what the equipment that you connect to a t the other end
is ?

If you are getting a succesful connection then your PC should be given
an IP address assignment by the VPN server - depending on the VPN
lcient you should be able to display that

Also you should tale a lookat your PC routing table before and after
making the VPN connection using the DOS cmd route print - you should
see that the default route changes after the connection is made - is
that occuring

walterbyrd

On Jun 5, 1:32 pm, Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Similar problem, different VPN client. I am now trying Juniper's VPN
client. This time, I can not even log in.

I am told I need to have port 500 open. But I am using comcast, and
that port seems to be closed. I downloaded a free utility called
"Advanced Port Scanner 1.3." According to this utility, the only
ports I have open are: 25, 80, 135, 139, and 445.

I called comcast, and comcast assured me that comcast does not block
VPN traffic. Comcast told me that the only ports that comcast blocks
are 67, 68, 135, 137,138,139,445,512,520,1080.

I tried telnetting to port 500, and got this:

>telnet localhost 500

Connecting To localhost...Could not open a connection to host on port
500 : Connect failed

News Reader

walterbyrd wrote:

> I tried telnetting to port 500, and got this:
>
>> telnet localhost 500

> Connecting To localhost...Could not open a connection to host on port
> 500 : Connect failed

Walter:

Keep in mind that I'm only seeing your post, and not those preceding it
(deleted per my subscription settings).

Is the result not what you would expect given that ISAKMP is on "UDP"
port 500, and Telnet uses TCP?

TCP port 500 would not be open.

Best Regards,
News Reader