Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Alternative to a Canon 450D

Alternative to a Canon 450D

PHIL

I'm thinking of buying a buying a DSLR, I've seen Canons 450D as a good
introductory DSLR.

What would be a good alternative, ie Nikon, Pentax models.

Phil

dj_nme

PHIL wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a buying a DSLR, I've seen Canons 450D as a good
> introductory DSLR.
>
> What would be a good alternative, ie Nikon, Pentax models.
>
> Phil

The Pentax entry level would be the K100D Super, which has
shake-reduction built into the body and can fit and AF all the Pentax K
lenses (obviously only AF with AF lenses, BTW).
With Nikon I'd avoid the D40, D40x and D60, simply because they can only
AF with in-lens focus motor AF-S or AF-I lenses and not with any of the
older ones which use a focus motor built into the camera body.
Canon has no such incompatible lens problem, all the EOS EF lenses will
fit and AF on any EOS body.
Olympus has the E-510, which can fit and AF with any FourThirds lenses
you can find.

More importantly: go to some camera shops and handle the cameras which
interest you.
There may be ergonomic factors (how it feels in the hand, placement of
controls, ETC) which trump purely technical or financial considerations.