Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > A very weird hard disc problem

A very weird hard disc problem

Bad Disciple

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a weird problem with my hard disc.
It's on my notebook (ACER Travelmate 6292) and I have partitioned
it in two, C: for system+program files, D: for saving work. I have
formatted both partitions into NTFS. Then I restore data in the notebook's
D: saving partition from another external USB hard disc that I have.
The data in this one is backuped from another computer where it's being
worked in FAT32 but that external USB disc is now also formated in NTFS.
Then when I work and start cut and paste (in Windows Explorer) folders
or files from one place to another in the notebook's D: partition,
the new folders or files become inaccessible - it says "acces denied"
and it's even impossible to erase them (so I must reformat the D: partition
each time again). I mean, I can open and work with files and folders, but
only when it comes to cut and paste it makes them inaccessible!

This is an impossible situation and I'm really puzzled what could
the reason be? Could anyone give a hint?
Thanks in advance.
Bad Disciple

Ofnuts

Bad Disciple wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm facing a weird problem with my hard disc.
> It's on my notebook (ACER Travelmate 6292) and I have partitioned
> it in two, C: for system+program files, D: for saving work. I have
> formatted both partitions into NTFS. Then I restore data in the notebook's
> D: saving partition from another external USB hard disc that I have.
> The data in this one is backuped from another computer where it's being
> worked in FAT32 but that external USB disc is now also formated in NTFS.
> Then when I work and start cut and paste (in Windows Explorer) folders
> or files from one place to another in the notebook's D: partition,
> the new folders or files become inaccessible - it says "acces denied"
> and it's even impossible to erase them (so I must reformat the D: partition
> each time again). I mean, I can open and work with files and folders, but
> only when it comes to cut and paste it makes them inaccessible!
>
> This is an impossible situation and I'm really puzzled what could
> the reason be? Could anyone give a hint?
> Thanks in advance.
> Bad Disciple

Shot in the dark: NTFS carries ACLs (Access Control Lists), and since
you are using NTFS on the USB disk, you are importing these ACLs
together with the files, which make them available only to some ID which
doesn't exist on the target computer (don't be fooled by the identical
userids names...). A fix would be to make sure theses files have
universal access on the USB disk (while it's still connected to the
source computer). The target computer admin account should also be able
to set a universal access on them, though (if only by setting such
access on a parent folder and forcing the recursive setting if the ACLs).

IMHO you would be better off using FAT32 on the USB disk, and, to
protect files, either cipher them, or use some "protected partition"
capability which many of these disks support.