Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Not bragging

Not bragging

tony cooper

This is not a photograph that I'm bragging about as an example of fine
photography, but the subject is something I've never seen before: a
Sandhill Crane sitting down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony213/2528133523/

I came out of the barber shop today and saw this crane sitting in the
grass. All I had with me was my point & shoot, and it doesn't have a
viewfinder. The noon sun completely obscured the screen, so I wasn't
even sure I had the crane in frame. I couldn't get the bird out of
the shadow because that would make the bird stand up.

The crane's "knees" bend the opposite way of a human's. You can see
this in the shot of a pair walking down the street in a shot that's
also at this link that I took from my car window with the same camera
a few days before.

These 5 foot tall birds are so common where I live that I didn't
bother going home for my Nikon D40. I live on a golf course, and
there are several pair of Sandhills around every day.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Dudley Hanks

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is not a photograph that I'm bragging about as an example of fine
> photography, but the subject is something I've never seen before: a
> Sandhill Crane sitting down.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony213/2528133523/
>
> I came out of the barber shop today and saw this crane sitting in the
> grass. All I had with me was my point & shoot, and it doesn't have a
> viewfinder. The noon sun completely obscured the screen, so I wasn't
> even sure I had the crane in frame.

I guess I'm not the only one shooting blind...

Great job, Tony.

Take Care,
Dudley

Lee K

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The crane's "knees" bend the opposite way of a human's.

I used to get a rise out of my kids when I asked them what a chair would
look like if our knees bent the 'other' way.

ASAAR

On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:12:59 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> These 5 foot tall birds are so common where I live that I didn't
> bother going home for my Nikon D40. I live on a golf course, and
> there are several pair of Sandhills around every day.

A week ago I trekked to a pair of local golf courses (on a cold
and rainy day) that I hadn't been to in about 40 years. Back then
the only big flying things of note were the humongous striped
mosquitoes. A local employee told us that they were finally
eradicated about two years ago. Nothing like Sandhills here, just
some grouse, a few skunks, and occasionally a rare fox or raccoon.

After wandering for about an hour on several holes on the first
course the weather got to us, but just before getting in the car to
leave, decided to check out Split Rock, (the other golf course,
named for Ann Hutchinson's infamous Split Rock). It may no longer
have had the evil mosquitoes, but in their place were turkeys - lots
of 'em, and pretty big too, probably close to 3 feet tall. I don't
know if that's considered to be large in other parts of the country,
but for NYC, that's BIG! With the sporadic rain, I decided not to
bring my D50, but did get a couple of shots from a Canon S3 that
easily fit in my jacket's pocket. I'll go back in a few months
(after I get a new WA lens for the D50) to snap some shots of the
golf courses, but not until B&H notifies me that Tokina's new
11-16mm lenses have arrived.

Blinky the Shark

tony cooper wrote:

> This is not a photograph that I'm bragging about as an example of fine
> photography, but the subject is something I've never seen before: a
> Sandhill Crane sitting down.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony213/2528133523/
>
> I came out of the barber shop today and saw this crane sitting in the
> grass. All I had with me was my point & shoot, and it doesn't have a
> viewfinder. The noon sun completely obscured the screen, so I wasn't
> even sure I had the crane in frame. I couldn't get the bird out of
> the shadow because that would make the bird stand up.
>
> The crane's "knees" bend the opposite way of a human's.

Now I'm scratching my head and wondering if any bird knees *do* bend the
way ours do. The more I think about it, the more I want to say "no". But
I've been fooled before.

This might be new here; I got it last week out in the desert. Low on art;
high on fun.

http://pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/97734982.jpg

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

tony cooper

On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:10:43 -0400, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A week ago I trekked to a pair of local golf courses (on a cold
>and rainy day) that I hadn't been to in about 40 years. Back then
>the only big flying things of note were the humongous striped
>mosquitoes. A local employee told us that they were finally
>eradicated about two years ago. Nothing like Sandhills here, just
>some grouse, a few skunks, and occasionally a rare fox or raccoon.

On our golf course, there's grousing, some players skunking other
players with $10 Nassau, and some foxy lady golfers. What is easiest
to spot is the Plaid Hacker and the Puffbelly Bogeymaker. Very rarely
an Eagle, and not enough Birdies. Plenty of Mulligans.

> After wandering for about an hour on several holes on the first
>course the weather got to us, but just before getting in the car to
>leave, decided to check out Split Rock, (the other golf course,
>named for Ann Hutchinson's infamous Split Rock). It may no longer
>have had the evil mosquitoes, but in their place were turkeys - lots
>of 'em, and pretty big too, probably close to 3 feet tall.

I saw two wild turkeys Saturday, but they were too far away to catch
with the Nikon 200mm. These were females and not all that large.

--

On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:02:29 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

>> A week ago I trekked to a pair of local golf courses (on a cold
>> and rainy day) that I hadn't been to in about 40 years. Back then
>> the only big flying things of note were the humongous striped
>> mosquitoes. A local employee told us that they were finally
>> eradicated about two years ago. Nothing like Sandhills here, just
>> some grouse, a few skunks, and occasionally a rare fox or raccoon.

> On our golf course, there's grousing, some players skunking other
> players with $10 Nassau, and some foxy lady golfers. What is easiest
> to spot is the Plaid Hacker and the Puffbelly Bogeymaker. Very rarely
> an Eagle, and not enough Birdies. Plenty of Mulligans.

Very nice! We talked about Mulligans too, meeting an Irish
twosome on the 10th hole that wouldn't let a little drizzle get in
the way of a round of golf. It reminded me of when I played the same
course years ago when the fairways were still covered with snow.

Blinky the Shark

savvo wrote:

> On 2008-05-28, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> tony cooper wrote:
>>>
>>> The crane's "knees" bend the opposite way of a human's.

>> Now I'm scratching my head and wondering if any bird knees *do* bend the
>> way ours do. The more I think about it, the more I want to say "no". But
>> I've been fooled before.

> I suspect Tony put the quotes on 'knees' because birds' "knees" are
> actually ankles. So they bend the same way as everyone else.

Hmmmm. I never thought about that. But I see what you mean.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Geoff Realname

<snip>

>> The crane's "knees" bend the opposite way of a human's.

<snip>

> Now I'm scratching my head and wondering if any bird knees *do* bend the
> way ours do. The more I think about it, the more I want to say "no". But
> I've been fooled before.

The joint that we see as the knee is actually the bird's equivalent of
our ankle. In this diagram
http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Birds...-Skeleton.html
you can see that the bird's knee is hidden by its plumage: its legs are
held this way for some reason to do with centre of gravity that is
beyond my competence to explain

Geoff

Blinky the Shark

Geoff Realname wrote:

> <snip>
>>>
>>> The crane's "knees" bend the opposite way of a human's.

> <snip>
>
>> Now I'm scratching my head and wondering if any bird knees *do* bend the
>> way ours do. The more I think about it, the more I want to say "no". But
>> I've been fooled before.
>>

> The joint that we see as the knee is actually the bird's equivalent of
> our ankle. In this diagram
> http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Birds...-Skeleton.html
> you can see that the bird's knee is hidden by its plumage: its legs are
> held this way for some reason to do with centre of gravity that is
> beyond my competence to explain

Righto. Nice illustration. It helps that many of the bone names are the
same as ours. (My human half wrote that. <g>)