Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Any problems with AVG8?

Re: Any problems with AVG8?

Jim Watt

On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:56:39 -0700, Gualtier Malde
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running Windows 2000 SP 4 and have AVG 7.5 installed. I recently renewed
>my subscription and now AVG is urging download and installation of v 8. I am
>writing because I think I recall someone describing some trouble with v 8, but I
>can't find the reference.
>
>So: Anyone having trouble with v 8 in this environment?
>
>Thanks

I dislike the feature where it checks website pages for
problems, as it means that if you open a google search
page, it visits all the links.

However it can be turned off, although the tray icon
admonishes you for it with a little red exclamation.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Beachcomber

>I dislike the feature where it checks website pages for
>problems, as it means that if you open a google search
>page, it visits all the links.
>
>However it can be turned off, although the tray icon
>admonishes you for it with a little red exclamation.
>--
>Jim Watt
>http://www.gibnet.com

My PC is about 4 years old and I just installed the free version of
AVG 8.

I'm very displeased with the speed reduction. Whatever new features
there are seem to have slowed down the browser to the point where it
is not usable. Browser pages take longer to load and e-mail was
noticably slower as well.

I had to disable the autoload of AVG from the system tray because I
just couldn't stand it anymore. I'm one of those who had used the
previous freeware version of AVG for years without any problems.

This new version seems to have a stanglehold over system resources
unless perhaps, your computer is one of the newest and fastest models
or perhaps the PAY version works better.

Anyone know for sure? Anyone else see the slowdown?

Beachcomber

Sebastian G.

Beachcomber wrote:

> I'm very displeased with the speed reduction. Whatever new features
> there are seem to have slowed down the browser to the point where it
> is not usable. Browser pages take longer to load and e-mail was
> noticably slower as well.

Maybe you should disable the web and mail scanning proxy? As any competent
person would do?

jc

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:56:39 -0700, Gualtier Malde
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am running Windows 2000 SP 4 and have AVG 7.5 installed. I recently renewed
>> my subscription and now AVG is urging download and installation of v 8. I am
>> writing because I think I recall someone describing some trouble with v 8, but I
>> can't find the reference.
>>
>> So: Anyone having trouble with v 8 in this environment?
>>
>> Thanks

> I dislike the feature where it checks website pages for
> problems, as it means that if you open a google search
> page, it visits all the links.

That's an interesting idea. Probably not as effective as safe surfing
and blocking scripts, but maybe with a whitelist it could be feasible.

jc

> However it can be turned off, although the tray icon
> admonishes you for it with a little red exclamation.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

David James

I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and crashing,
but I only use it as a back up.

jc

David James wrote:
> I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and crashing,
> but I only use it as a back up.

It sounds like they got ambitious but also got hit by a deadline. You
might wait for 8.1 to be released.

jc

Jim Watt

On 28 May 2008 17:48:40 GMT, David James <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and crashing,
>but I only use it as a back up.

Then turn the feature off !
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Klunk

On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:14:07 +0200, Jim Watt passed an empty day by
writing:

> On 28 May 2008 17:48:40 GMT, David James <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and
>>crashing, but I only use it as a back up.

> Then turn the feature off !

Why not just shut the whole package off on that logic and get something
that works - you stupid trolling f**kwit

Sebastian G.

Klunk wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:14:07 +0200, Jim Watt passed an empty day by
> writing:
>
>> On 28 May 2008 17:48:40 GMT, David James <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and
>>> crashing, but I only use it as a back up.

>> Then turn the feature off !

> Why not just shut the whole package off on that logic and get something
> that works - you stupid trolling f**kwit

Actually this would be the best choice, since aside from introducing local
privilege escalation vulnerabilities such virus scanners are pretty useless.
Why not try ClamWin which works as an unprivileged process, combined with
WinSnoop which triggers scan activity on FileChangeNotifications?

Klunk

On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:52:35 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
writing:

> Klunk wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:14:07 +0200, Jim Watt passed an empty day by
>> writing:

>>> Then turn the feature off !

>> Why not just shut the whole package off on that logic and get something
>> that works - you stupid trolling f**kwit

> Actually this would be the best choice, since aside from introducing
> local privilege escalation vulnerabilities such virus scanners are
> pretty useless. Why not try ClamWin which works as an unprivileged
> process, combined with WinSnoop which triggers scan activity on
> FileChangeNotifications?

Can't find any info on WinSnoop even google lets me down, got a link?