Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Kill -3 doesnt work

Kill -3 doesnt work

Orson

Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
there special flag we need to enable or something?

Ajay

On May 27, 11:05*am, Orson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
> admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
> there special flag we need to enable or something?

Too much missing information. You should learn how to ask for help...

- Which JVM ? - version
- how did you launch the jvm ?
- where are you checking for dump ?
- did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
- was it the correct pid? - how do you know?

Orson

On May 27, 1:05*pm, Ajay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 27, 11:05*am, Orson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
> > admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
> > there special flag we need to enable or something?

> Too much missing information. You should learn how to ask for help...

- Which JVM ? - version
jdk1.6.0_03
- how did you launch the jvm ?
Shell script:
java -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 -classpath <our classpath> com.[..].DBSync
dbsync.conf /LOGLEVEL:8 > DBSync.out 2> DBSync.err &
- where are you checking for dump ?
files DBSync.log, DBSync.err and DBSync.out
- did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
yes, i saw him several times
- was it the correct pid? - how do you know?
yes, this is only java process on linux server and when we kill
process, log stops

Ajay

On May 27, 1:28*pm, Orson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 27, 1:05*pm, Ajay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:> On May 27, 11:05*am, Orson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > Helo. I need to take thread dump of remote jvm process. I asked unix
> > > admin to do kill -3 <pid>, but jvm is not giving me thread dump. Is
> > > there special flag we need to enable or something?

> > Too much missing information. You should learn how to ask for help...

> - Which JVM ? - version
> jdk1.6.0_03
> - how did you launch the jvm ?
> Shell script:
> java -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 -classpath <our classpath> com.[..].DBSync
> dbsync.conf /LOGLEVEL:8 > DBSync.out 2> DBSync.err &
> - where are you checking for dump ?
> files DBSync.log, DBSync.err and DBSync.out
> - did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
> yes, i saw him several times
> - was it the correct pid? - how do you know?
> yes, this is only java process on linux server and when we kill
> process, log stops

I just checked for one of the JVM processes on my linux box, kill -3
does produce the stack dump of all threads in stdout redirected file.
You should see it in DBSync.out.

However, I am using sun java 1.5.0_06 on Redhat 4.

No idea why yours isn't working.

Few (wild) things you might want to check:
- is kill an alias for something else?
- is your admin's shell picking kill from an unusual location?

Can't think of anything else. Perhaps a paste of the tty session might
shed some light...

Ajay

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Orson <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>- Which JVM ? - version
>jdk1.6.0_03
>- how did you launch the jvm ?
>Shell script:
>java -Xms1024 -Xmx1024 -classpath <our classpath> com.[..].DBSync
>dbsync.conf /LOGLEVEL:8 > DBSync.out 2> DBSync.err &
>- where are you checking for dump ?
>files DBSync.log, DBSync.err and DBSync.out
>- did the admin actually do a kill -3 ?
>yes, i saw him several times
>- was it the correct pid? - how do you know?
>yes, this is only java process on linux server and when we kill
>process, log stops

I was debugging a thread contention problem today at work, and I can vouch
that "kill -3" definitely works on JDK 1.6 on Linux. It even has a
feature I don't remember in JDK 1.4 where it will point out which threads
are deadlocked.

And it should *not* stop the log - "kill -3" doesn't stop the process and
it doesn't stop it from writing to stdout.

--
Paul Tomblin <(E-Mail Removed)> http://blog.xcski.com/
Medication did wonders for me, Dave. Perhaps it could for you, if a