Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > DHCP - IP map to MAC address

DHCP - IP map to MAC address

hhs

Hello,

I wonder, is it possible to configure DHCP on Cisco Router to lease
the IP address to specific MAC address? (It's possible with Windows by
using Reserve IP address on the option of DHCP server)

Is that possible for Cisco Device to do that? Any ideas?

Thanks,
hhs

Doug McIntyre

hhs <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I wonder, is it possible to configure DHCP on Cisco Router to lease
>the IP address to specific MAC address? (It's possible with Windows by
>using Reserve IP address on the option of DHCP server)

>Is that possible for Cisco Device to do that? Any ideas?

Specify a new DHCP pool for each differentiated with each hardware-address
that you want to tie in.

hhs

On May 27, 11:36 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hhs <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I wonder, is it possible to configure DHCP on Cisco Router to lease
> >the IP address to specific MAC address? (It's possible with Windows by
> >using Reserve IP address on the option of DHCP server)
> >Is that possible for Cisco Device to do that? Any ideas?

> Specify a new DHCP pool for each differentiated with each hardware-address
> that you want to tie in.

oh ok ok i got it. so if i want to map 10 addresses then i need to
create 10 pools also. great

Thanks,
hhs

Uli Link

hhs schrieb:
> On May 27, 11:36 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> hhs <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> I wonder, is it possible to configure DHCP on Cisco Router to lease
>>> the IP address to specific MAC address? (It's possible with Windows by
>>> using Reserve IP address on the option of DHCP server)
>>> Is that possible for Cisco Device to do that? Any ideas?

>> Specify a new DHCP pool for each differentiated with each hardware-address
>> that you want to tie in.

> oh ok ok i got it. so if i want to map 10 addresses then i need to
> create 10 pools also. great
>
> Thanks,
> hhs

You don't need all options in every pool. The IOS DHCP server is smart
enough to pick the options from the less specific pool and the IP
address from the special one.

!
ip dhcp pool CLIENTS
network 192.168.198.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.198.1
dns-server 192.168.200.5 192.168.199.5
domain-name example.local
lease 0 4
!
ip dhcp pool RESERVED-HOST
host 192.168.198.80 255.255.255.0
client-identifier 0100.4096.3944.3f
!

So the client with MAC 0040.9639.443f will always lease the IP
192.168.198.80/24 with the other options from the pool CLIENTS

For Windows2000/WindowsXP/Vista you'll need to specify the
"client-identifier" with a leading "01" for Ethernet instead of the
hardware address. Don't know why, other O/Ses DHCP clients requests work
with hardware-address.

--
Uli

hhs

On May 27, 1:14 pm, Uli Link <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> hhs schrieb:

> >> Specify a new DHCP pool for each differentiated with each hardware-address
> >> that you want to tie in.

> > oh ok ok i got it. so if i want to map 10 addresses then i need to
> > create 10 pools also. great

> > Thanks,
> > hhs

> You don't need all options in every pool. The IOS DHCP server is smart
> enough to pick the options from the less specific pool and the IP
> address from the special one.
>
> !
> ip dhcp pool CLIENTS
> network 192.168.198.0 255.255.255.0
> default-router 192.168.198.1
> dns-server 192.168.200.5 192.168.199.5
> domain-name example.local
> lease 0 4
> !
> ip dhcp pool RESERVED-HOST
> host 192.168.198.80 255.255.255.0
> client-identifier 0100.4096.3944.3f
> !
>
> So the client with MAC 0040.9639.443f will always lease the IP
> 192.168.198.80/24 with the other options from the pool CLIENTS
>
> For Windows2000/WindowsXP/Vista you'll need to specify the
> "client-identifier" with a leading "01" for Ethernet instead of the
> hardware address. Don't know why, other O/Ses DHCP clients requests work
> with hardware-address.
>
> --
> Uli

thanks for your clear high light. I though i need to do the same
same things for every pools. Thanks alots!