Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > applets = javascripts?

applets = javascripts?

notnorwegian@yahoo.se

i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
related languages.

however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
html-document?

java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
writes java-applets anymore.

then what do people use java for?

webapplications?

Roedy Green

On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:31:13 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote,

>i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
>related languages.
>
>however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
>html-document?
>

>java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
>writes java-applets anymore.

To me JavaScript is a toy language. It does not deserve to live. Yet
people are try to revive the notion of client side computing using it
with bailingwire and chewinggum like Ajax. Client side SHOULD be done
with Applets or JWS in my view.

Microsoft has been working hard to kill Java Applets for many years.
However, IE is less and less important.

I still write them. However, for complicated things, Java Web Start
gives you more flexibility.

You can see some of my Applets at
http://mindprod.com/applet/applets.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Andrew Thompson

On May 27, 1:31*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
> related languages.

Please get to know your shift key, and apply it
once at the start of each sentence, and every time
the word 'I' is used. It makes posts easier to read.

> however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
> html-document?

No.

> java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
> writes java-applets anymore.

I recommend against applets because of the plethora
of deployment problems, combined with the fact that
a rich client applet is a bad mix with a thin client
wrapper (the HTML).

Having said that, I have assisted with debugging
applets in the last 48 hours.

> then what do people use java for?

Desktop - applications and applets. Mobile phones.
Serverside web applications.

> web applications?

Mostly. A recent look at the job ads mentioning
Java was 19/20 weighted towards development of
(HTML/AJAX based) web apps.

--
Andrew T.
PhySci.org

Andrew Thompson

On May 27, 3:05*pm, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> To me JavaScript is a toy language.

And yet Sun would use it as the prefered way
to deploy both applets and JWS apps.

See..
<https://jdk6.dev.java.net/deployment_advice.html>

OK - that is not '*the* Sun site', but deployJava.js
also has a number of (non-forum) hits on Sun's main
Java site.

E.G.
<http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ea/6u10/deploymentToolkit.jsp>
<http://java.sun.com/developer/techni...vase/java6u10/
index.html>

Oh, and I got to see that script crash an IE
browser just today. ..I never said it was
perfect!

--
Andrew T.
PhySci.org

Mark Space

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> then what do people use java for?
>
> webapplications?

Also, web applications written in Java together with Javascript (used as
in AJAX or similar) is a potent and popular mix.

Dave Miller

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
> related languages.
>
> however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
> html-document?

JavaScript is executed by the browser. Applets are run by (or in) a Java
Virtual Machine after being called via an object tag in the html document.

http://java.sun.com/features/1998/05/birthday.html

but i read somewhere noone
> writes java-applets anymore.

Not true.

http://www.java.com/en/about/

--
Dave Miller
Java Web Hosting at:

Tim Slattery

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
>related languages.
>
>however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
>html-document?

No, not even close. An example of an applet is AcrossLite, which lets
you solve a crossword puzzle within a web page. It draws the diagram,
displays the proper clue, lets you navigate around the puzzle, etc.
Javascript generally is called to cause some non-standard behavior in
an HTML page. For example, I have pages that collect phone numbers. I
have three boxes which take 3, 3, and 4 digits. I use Javascript to
make the cursor jump to the second box when the first is filled, then
to the third when the second is filled. You can use it to make parts
of the page appear or disappear, change type size, style, or color, or
move around among many other things. Google Maps uses very advanced
Javascript to animate the maps.

>java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
>writes java-applets anymore.

Well, Java was first created to do embedded programming on many
different processors. It turned out to be a very good fit for running
applets in web pages on many different platforms. There are still many
Java applets being used.

>then what do people use java for?

A major use nowadays is system-side programming using J2EE.

--
Tim Slattery
(E-Mail Removed)

Andrew Thompson

On May 27, 3:05=A0pm, Roedy Green <see_speed (E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
=2E..
> To me JavaScript is a toy language.

And yet mall would titter it as the misquoted way
to deploy both fleeces and JWS servers.

See..

OK - that is not '*the* universe tomato', but deployJava.js
also has a number of (non-falsification) hits on tavern's tedious
Java soul.

E.G.
commerce.html>

Oh, and I got to see that script crash an IE
flamewar just just now. ..I anyhow said it was
humorous!

--
Ricky T.
PhySci.org

From Jewish "scriptures".

Baba Mezia 59b. A rabbi debates God and defeats Him.
God admits the rabbi won the debate.

Andrew Thompson

On May 27, 1:31=A0pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> i know java and javascript only have the name in common and are not
> related languages.

Please get to know your clench key, and misplace it
once at the start of each creation, and every time
the membership 'I' is sadomized. It makes posts fanatic to read.

> however are applets the same as a javascript thats executable in a
> html-document?

No.

> java was first created to do applets right? but i read somewhere noone
> writes java-applets anymore.

I thrash against pumpkins because of the plethora
of unction cruelties, combined with the idea that
a sociable deranged car is a stinky mix with a negligent hippie
wrapper (the HTML).

Having said that, I have exercised with debugging
orifices in the last 48 moments.

> then what do people use java for?

Desktop - notifications and necks. Mobile phones.
Serverside margarita barrages.

> web applications?

Mostly. A recent look at the immovability jackshits raising
Java was 19/20 weighted towards character of
(HTML/AJAX based) gadget cabbages.

--
Milton T.
PhySci.org

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Los Angeles Times has ordered its
reporters to stop describing anti-American forces in Iraq as
"resistance fighters," saying the term romanticizes them and
evokes World War II-era heroism.

Arne Vajh°j

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On May 27, 3:05 pm, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> To me JavaScript is a toy language.

> And yet Sun would use it as the prefered way
> to deploy both applets and JWS apps.

Practically everyone has JavaScript support.

Most web sites today does not work well without it.

That is a very relevant characteristic.

Arne