Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D300: formatting problems

Nikon D300: formatting problems

franz fripplfrappl

Nikon D300.

I used to be able to format memory cards by simultaneously pressing the
mode and trashcan buttons. Now I cannot. I hold both for 2-3 seconds
and the display flashes as though it is formatting. When done flashing,
nothing has been reset.

I can however format via the menu.

Any ideas? Is it possible to have disabled the format function somehow?

Franz Fripplfrappl

me@mine.net

On Mon, 26 May 2008 17:40:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital franz fripplfrappl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nikon D300.
>
>I used to be able to format memory cards by simultaneously pressing the
>mode and trashcan buttons. Now I cannot. I hold both for 2-3 seconds
>and the display flashes as though it is formatting. When done flashing,
>nothing has been reset.
>
>I can however format via the menu.
>
>Any ideas? Is it possible to have disabled the format function somehow?

Sounds like you are not doing it properly. From p 41-42 of the fine manual:

1 Turn the camera on.

2 Press the format buttons.
Hold the format (Mode and Trash)
buttons down simultaneously
for approximately two
seconds.
A blinking For will appear in
the shutter-speed displays in
the control panel and
viewfinder. To exit without
formatting the memory card,
press any button other than
the format buttons

3 Press the format buttons again.
Press the format buttons together a second time to
format the memory card.

franz fripplfrappl

On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:24:56 -0400, me wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 17:40:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital franz
> fripplfrappl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Nikon D300.
>>
>>I used to be able to format memory cards by simultaneously pressing the
>>mode and trashcan buttons. Now I cannot. I hold both for 2-3 seconds
>>and the display flashes as though it is formatting. When done flashing,
>>nothing has been reset.
>>
>>I can however format via the menu.
>>
>>Any ideas? Is it possible to have disabled the format function somehow?

> Sounds like you are not doing it properly. From p 41-42 of the fine
> manual:
>
> 1 Turn the camera on.
>
> 2 Press the format buttons.
> Hold the format (Mode and Trash)
> buttons down simultaneously
> for approximately two
> seconds.
> A blinking For will appear in
> the shutter-speed displays in
> the control panel and
> viewfinder. To exit without
> formatting the memory card,
> press any button other than
> the format buttons
>
> 3 Press the format buttons again.
> Press the format buttons together a second time to format the memory
> card.

Thank you! That was it. I forgot to flip to page 42 and complete the
process.

Franz Fripplfrappl