Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Query on setting up network

Query on setting up network

Smiffie72

Just had cable installed and so now have a cable modem to access net on pc.
Used to access the net through the phone line using a Inventel DV4210 which
was set up wirelessly for PC and Laptop.
I've been told that if I want to go wireless, I now need to buy a wireless
cable router.
I'm not bothered about having the pc wireless but it would be handy to still
access the net, emails and files on the laptop.
Is it possible to use the wireless functions of the Inventel modem to
connect the pc and laptop?
Does this make sense!
Thanks

Lem

Smiffie72 wrote:
> Just had cable installed and so now have a cable modem to access net on pc.
> Used to access the net through the phone line using a Inventel DV4210 which
> was set up wirelessly for PC and Laptop.
> I've been told that if I want to go wireless, I now need to buy a wireless
> cable router.
> I'm not bothered about having the pc wireless but it would be handy to still
> access the net, emails and files on the laptop.
> Is it possible to use the wireless functions of the Inventel modem to
> connect the pc and laptop?
> Does this make sense!
> Thanks

You are talking about two separate devices: a "modem" and a "router."
Sometimes, but far from always, these devices are combined in one
physical package. However, the "modem" that you need to use dialup is
not the same and is in no way interchangeable with the "modem" you need
for cable Internet access.

So, if one could use just the router portion of your Inventel DV4210,
then theoretically you could connect it to the cable modem and do what
you want. I don't know anything about this device, and the Inventel
website seems inaccessible at the moment, so I can't look it up.

If I were you, however, I'd buy a separate wireless router (note: you do
not want a "cable router" which implies another all-in-one device).
Check out brand names like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, and the like.
Inventel boxes seem to be mostly in the UK and Europe, and I'm not
familiar with the brands of wireless routers readily available there.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The Inventel DV4210 is a DSL Modem/Wireless Router combo.
Being a combo there it direct access to the WAN side of the device.
Since you switched to Cable Internet service the DV4210 is useless for Cable
connection.
So you need a Router No matter what.
If I had to buy a Wireless Router out of the USA I would go with this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-WHR-...314998&sr=1-14
Jack (MVP-Networking).
Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers, or
and, the vendors that I mentioned.

"Smiffie72" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just had cable installed and so now have a cable modem to access net on
> pc.
> Used to access the net through the phone line using a Inventel DV4210
> which
> was set up wirelessly for PC and Laptop.
> I've been told that if I want to go wireless, I now need to buy a wireless
> cable router.
> I'm not bothered about having the pc wireless but it would be handy to
> still
> access the net, emails and files on the laptop.
> Is it possible to use the wireless functions of the Inventel modem to
> connect the pc and laptop?
> Does this make sense!
> Thanks

James Egan

On Mon, 26 May 2008 03:22:01 -0700, Smiffie72
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just had cable installed and so now have a cable modem to access net on pc.
>Used to access the net through the phone line using a Inventel DV4210 which
>was set up wirelessly for PC and Laptop.
>I've been told that if I want to go wireless, I now need to buy a wireless
>cable router.
>I'm not bothered about having the pc wireless but it would be handy to still
>access the net, emails and files on the laptop.
>Is it possible to use the wireless functions of the Inventel modem to
>connect the pc and laptop?

It's a possibility if there are enough wired LAN ports available to
plug everything in. You would need to leave the WAN port on the router
unused and just use the LAN port(s) so that it's only operating as a
wireless access point. You would also need to enable ICS on the xp
desktop to perform the routing and address translation previously done
by the Inventel. The xp desktop would then become your network's
default gateway.

If you haven't got enough LAN ports to plug everything in, you might
consider bridging the wired and wireless interfaces on the desktop
instead of using the Inventel as an access point though the preferred
option is to use the Inventel if you can.

Read about ICS and bridging (if required) here
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._ics/index.htm

Jim.

ASP.NET won't retrieve query results that depend on union query Eric Nelson ASP .Net 5 02-04-2009 10:51 PM
Trying to query the Address table data of AdventureWorks database from Query Analyzer - need help! Learner ASP .Net 1 01-30-2006 08:58 PM
xpath query query David Gordon XML 2 05-18-2005 03:33 PM
CAML Query: Multiple Query Fields Issue Jon F. ASP .Net Web Services 0 05-12-2004 08:19 PM

Advertisments