Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Latest Version Of AVG 8.

Re: Latest Version Of AVG 8.

Dave Taylor

"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:1211781612.808415
@ftpsrv1:

> Is this still free has the website claims?

Yes, but I know two people who use it and it does not work properly for
them. 7.5 was fine.
I don't recommend AVG and never have.
I like and use Avast for free stuff...

HTH.

--
Ciao, Dave

Peter Huebner

In article <Xns9AAAC10094504daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:1211781612.808415
> @ftpsrv1:
>
> > Is this still free has the website claims?

> Yes, but I know two people who use it and it does not work properly for
> them. 7.5 was fine.
> I don't recommend AVG and never have.
> I like and use Avast for free stuff...
>
> HTH.

Funny that. Having heard about the possible issues with AVG I
tried Avira the other day on a freshly rebuilt system
(basically vanilla xp pro sp2). Installed fine, but wouldn't
update. "no license" . After 45 minutes poking around their
site I found a link for the license to download and copy into
the avira directory. Downloaded updated definition files, then
it crashed trying to update the database. Yeesh.

How do they expect people without experience to cope with that
kind of crap? I took Avira right back off because I knew that
the semi-comp-literate owner would NOT be able to cope.

I will keep it around (on CD) because it installs easily from
safe mode, but for continued use????

-Peter

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> In article <Xns9AAAC10094504daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in news:1211781612.808415
> > @ftpsrv1:
> >
> > > Is this still free has the website claims?

> > Yes, but I know two people who use it and it does not work properly for
> > them. 7.5 was fine.
> > I don't recommend AVG and never have.
> > I like and use Avast for free stuff...
> >
> > HTH.

> Funny that. Having heard about the possible issues with AVG I
> tried Avira the other day on a freshly rebuilt system
> (basically vanilla xp pro sp2). Installed fine, but wouldn't
> update.

<snip>

You wait until you *do* get yer auto-updates - reads like a big
advertisement to me. Couldn't handle recommending that to anyone!

--
Duncan