Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 10 most annoying programs on the Internet

10 most annoying programs on the Internet

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Good list <http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-202392.html>. I think I'd
have to agree with them all.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> Some of the patch/freeware download sites are getting pretty bad as
> well...rather annoyed that when I need a game patch the game vendor
> re-directs me to a ftp front end that then makes me "fantastic offers"
> to allow un-limited downloads....FFS all I want is a game patch to fix
> bugs in the game I bought....I am not interested in all this s*te....

You get what you pay for...

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y says...

> Some of the patch/freeware download sites are getting pretty bad as
> well...rather annoyed that when I need a game patch the game vendor
> re-directs me to a ftp front end that then makes me "fantastic offers"
> to allow un-limited downloads....FFS all I want is a game patch to fix
> bugs in the game I bought....I am not interested in all this s*te....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

For some reason every time I try to get stuff from sourceforge
I get redirected to the Aussie mirror, and it tries
unsuccessfully to ram some shite down my throat, but the
download will never start. Have to manually choose a different
mirror each and every time. Tried to send an email to
sourceforge admin about it, and got a really cryptic reply
back: we don't act on bug reports via email, you have to use
[whatever web form or such]'. The irony is I had used THEIR
link for the email ... <sigh>

IGN.au always crashes out on me with the funny little ad-games
they try to play with the browser.

Meh. (not to mention places like download.com, freedrive.com
etc and the clowns that put a timer on your screen: you may be
able to download this in 1/2 hour, provided the queue is gone
by then, but if you give us money NOW .... )

Youtube. Most of the time somebody gives a youtube link, it
want's to install the latest version of Flash. And I don't want
to do that, because it's so damned intrusive. Just as well; at
least I am not tempted to waste my time on there. I find their
site extremely annoying, even when it does work.

-P.

Malcolm

On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:09:04 +1200
Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)y says...
> >
> > Some of the patch/freeware download sites are getting pretty bad as
> > well...rather annoyed that when I need a game patch the game vendor
> > re-directs me to a ftp front end that then makes me "fantastic
> > offers" to allow un-limited downloads....FFS all I want is a game
> > patch to fix bugs in the game I bought....I am not interested in
> > all this s*te....
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Thing

> For some reason every time I try to get stuff from sourceforge
> I get redirected to the Aussie mirror, and it tries
> unsuccessfully to ram some shite down my throat, but the
> download will never start. Have to manually choose a different
> mirror each and every time. Tried to send an email to
> sourceforge admin about it, and got a really cryptic reply
> back: we don't act on bug reports via email, you have to use
> [whatever web form or such]'. The irony is I had used THEIR
> link for the email ... <sigh>
>
> IGN.au always crashes out on me with the funny little ad-games
> they try to play with the browser.
>
> Meh. (not to mention places like download.com, freedrive.com
> etc and the clowns that put a timer on your screen: you may be
> able to download this in 1/2 hour, provided the queue is gone
> by then, but if you give us money NOW .... )
>
> Youtube. Most of the time somebody gives a youtube link, it
> want's to install the latest version of Flash. And I don't want
> to do that, because it's so damned intrusive. Just as well; at
> least I am not tempted to waste my time on there. I find their
> site extremely annoying, even when it does work.
>
> -P.

Hi
You could always use http://www.arrakis.es/~rggi3/youtube-dl/ if you
really want to watch them...

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
up 2 days 4:39, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.12, 0.15

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, grum did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> You get what you pay for...

> I had to read that twice to get the context correct...given your
> enthusiasm for Linux

I think "you get what you pay for" is a very good illustration of the
different between open-source and closed-source software:

Closed-source software: pay for the software, expect free support. Software
may be (mostly) good, but look at all the complaints about crap support,
lack of receptivity to bug reports etc.

Open-source software: get the software at no cost, pay for the support.
Result? Quality support.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> I had to read that twice to get the context correct...given your
>>> enthusiasm for Linux

>> I think "you get what you pay for" is a very good illustration of the
>> different between open-source and closed-source software:
>>
>> Closed-source software: pay for the software, expect free support.
>> Software may be (mostly) good, but look at all the complaints about crap
>> support, lack of receptivity to bug reports etc.
>>
>> Open-source software: get the software at no cost, pay for the support.
>> Result? Quality support.

> uh no.
>
> I would quite willingly argue that the best support is via google,
> newsgroups and mailing lists, which are all free. Commercial support of
> any flavour is rarely anywhere as good.

I make a living from developing for and administering Linux systems. Sure,
the community discussions are useful for me, but my clients have better
things to do with their time. Hence, they pay me to do it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> You get what you pay for...

> What rot....

It's the way the market works, like it or not.