Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What do you use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

Reply
Thread Tools

What do you use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

 
 
Wayne R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2008
I bought a Geko 201 off eBay for $50 to keep with a little point &
shoot in my laptop bag.

I also keep my Garmin 76S with my much better camera.

And I have RoboGEO in the laptop. Pretty easy. Since I also use a
USB-serial doodad for other stuff, I just have to have two cables for
the two GPSs. That's dumb but not too bad.



On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:31:16 -0700, Sharon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
(with clarity & insight):


>What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
claudegps
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2008
On 26 Mag, 14:09, "Thaddeus J. Bumwad III (Tad)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
[cut]
> Or you could just buy a Ricoh Camera with built in gps.


Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that the camera is "GPS ready", not with
built-in GPS.
The GPS is not inside, but you can use BT to connect to a common GPS
mouse.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
claudegps
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2008
On 26 Mag, 14:31, claudegps <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 26 Mag, 14:09, "Thaddeus J. Bumwad III (Tad)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> [cut]
>
> > Or you could just buy a Ricoh Camera with built in gps.

>
> Maybe I'm wrong,


I am

"Use as a single unit solution using built-in GPS or in conjunction
with external GPS devices via Bluetooth"
 
Reply With Quote
 
franken-udo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2008
Hello

i am using the program "Time Machine X". It is from the side
www.gps-wintec.de and its free. It works with my Wintec Reciver. It
works exactli with my Canon and Sony Cameras.

Udo
 
Reply With Quote
 
SamSez
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2008
Sharon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:g1b146$nhu$(E-Mail Removed):

> What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??
>
> I know some (not mine) cameras actually log GPS information into the
> EXIF data but maybe we can buy/build our own with a universal GPS
> "tracker".
>
> I'd be happy if I could tape onto my camera strap a small "device"
> that lasted a long time on battery (a week or more would be nice) and
> which logged exactly where my camera strap was.
>
> Then I would stand a chance of figuring out at which location any
> particularly interesting shot was taken by comparing the EXIF time and
> date with that GPS log.
>
> Does such a passive tiny GPS logging device exist at an affordable
> price (~$300 USD or so).
>
> What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?


http://photofinder.atpinc.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Hamilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2008
On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:31:16 -0700, Sharon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??


I have a Nikon D3 and I recently bought a GPS from Dawntech in Hong
Kong. www.dawntech.hk. FedEx shipped to me in one day.

The unit is about the size of a "fat" thumbdrive and it plugs in to
the Nikon's 10-pin connector. There is also a 10-pin socket on the
GPS body, so you can use the GPS as the same time as a Nikon remote
release or timer release. Very convenient.

The D3 will automatically detect the GPS and display a small GPS icon
whenever the camera detects GPS input. The GPS data is automatically
included in the picture's EXIF data.

The GPS can either be mounted in the camera's hot shoe or else mounted
with a clip to the camera strap. It's so small that you hardly notice
it's there.

If you check the data on an image, you will see the GPS data along
with exposure, lens, color balance, etc.

I like this solution because it's very reliable and straightforward.

About $325 shipped.

-AH
>
>I know some (not mine) cameras actually log GPS information into the EXIF
>data but maybe we can buy/build our own with a universal GPS "tracker".
>
>I'd be happy if I could tape onto my camera strap a small "device" that
>lasted a long time on battery (a week or more would be nice) and which
>logged exactly where my camera strap was.
>
>Then I would stand a chance of figuring out at which location any
>particularly interesting shot was taken by comparing the EXIF time and date
>with that GPS log.
>
>Does such a passive tiny GPS logging device exist at an affordable price
>(~$300 USD or so).
>
>What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mark GPS coordinates on image file Florian Weingarten Ruby 7 06-25-2009 11:26 AM
Re: rastreadores GPS Ratreador gps localizadores bloqueadores 6518232 Frisbee® MCSE 3 08-18-2006 11:09 PM
Reading GPS coordinates with .net Jens Hibbeler ASP .Net Mobile 1 01-06-2004 03:03 PM
Converting canvas coordinates to window coordinates in tkinter......... Suresh Kumar Python 0 07-04-2003 10:14 AM
Converting canvas coordinates to window coordinates....... Suresh Kumar Python 0 07-03-2003 04:53 AM



Advertisments